Made with Love

Foods High in Cholesterol Don’t Raise Heart Risks

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,322
A new study provides more evidence that eating high-cholesterol food does not increase the risk for heart disease.
The , followed 1,032 initially healthy men ages 42 to 60. About a third were carriers of ApoE4, a gene variant known to increase the risk for heart disease (and Alzheimer’s).

The researchers assessed their diets with questionnaires and followed them for an average of 21 years, during which 230 men developed coronary artery disease.
The men consumed an average of about 2,800 milligrams of cholesterol a week, more than a quarter of it from eating an average of four eggs weekly. (An egg contains about 180 milligrams of cholesterol.)

After controlling for age, education, smoking, B.M.I., diabetes, hypertension and other characteristics, the researchers found no association between cardiovascular disease and total cholesterol or egg consumption in either carriers or noncarriers of ApoE4.

The researchers also examined carotid artery thickness, a measure of atherosclerosis. They found no association between cholesterol consumption and artery thickness, either.

The lead author, Jyrki K. Virtanen, an adjunct professor of epidemiology at the University of Eastern Finland, said that for healthy people, “Moderate intake of cholesterol,” including up to one egg a day, “doesn’t seem to increase the risk of heart disease, even among those people at higher risk.”

papasmerf

Joined Aug 9, 2010
Messages 33,614
Thank you for posting this...........As you know for years I have been saying there is no connection............

But even I advise people eat a variety of foods...................

You need Veggies as well as Bacon and Fruit as well as Bread...................

You also need water by the quart every day...................

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,322
Thank you for posting this...........As you know for years I have been saying there is no connection............

But even I advise people eat a variety of foods...................

You need Veggies as well as Bacon and Fruit as well as Bread...................

You also need water by the quart every day...................

I wholeheartedly agree except for the bread. But for most people the everything in moderation principle would apply.

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,322
The reference covers the Carbs............People forget that anything made with flour is basically the same.

Added sugars never a great idea.............Plenty of naturally sweet stuff out there.

Why Flour is Like Sugar
If you think sugar-free cookies, cakes and pastries will help you control diabetes or lose weight, you've gotten the wrong message. Flour makes your blood sugar rise almost as much as table sugar. Most recipes for baked goods use about six cups of flour for every cup of sugar. Eliminating the sugar does virtually nothing to slow the rise in blood sugar that you get when you eat bakery products.
Carbohydrates are chains of sugar molecules lined in a row. They are found in all plants and foods made from plants. Carbohydrates can be a single sugar, two sugars bound together, three or four sugars. Thousands of sugars bound together are called starch, and millions of sugars bound together so tightly that you cannot break them down are called fiber.
Only single sugars can pass from your intestines into your blood stream. After you eat, food that contains starch enters your intestines where enzymes knock off each end sugar consecutively. You knock off end sugars rapidly and continuously, and they are absorbed immediately. All simple sugars and starches that are broken down rapidly go into the bloodstream rapidly, to cause a high rise in blood sugar.
Resistant starches contain long chains of sugars that cannot release their end sugars, so they are not absorbed. They pass to the colon where bacteria convert them into fatty acids that help prevent colon cancer and heart attacks. That's why you want to eat carbohydrates that release their sugars slowly and restrict carbohydrates that release sugars rapidly. The easier it is to break carbohydrates down into single sugars, the higher your blood sugar level rises and the more insulin you produce.
When a whole grain is ground into a powder, it loses its protective capsule that keeps it from being broken down so quickly. See my page on the .
The most healthful carbohydrates are those left with fiber where nature puts them: in whole grains, beans, nuts and other seeds, vegetables and fruits. The most harmful carbohydrates for diabetics and people who are trying to lose weight are foods made from : flour, white rice or milled corn, fruit juices and all extracted sugars. Forget the sugar-free bakery products; they offer no benefit whatsoever.

papasmerf

Joined Aug 9, 2010
Messages 33,614
Why Flour is Like Sugar
If you think sugar-free cookies, cakes and pastries will help you control diabetes or lose weight, you've gotten the wrong message. Flour makes your blood sugar rise almost as much as table sugar. Most recipes for baked goods use about six cups of flour for every cup of sugar. Eliminating the sugar does virtually nothing to slow the rise in blood sugar that you get when you eat bakery products.
Carbohydrates are chains of sugar molecules lined in a row. They are found in all plants and foods made from plants. Carbohydrates can be a single sugar, two sugars bound together, three or four sugars. Thousands of sugars bound together are called starch, and millions of sugars bound together so tightly that you cannot break them down are called fiber.
Only single sugars can pass from your intestines into your blood stream. After you eat, food that contains starch enters your intestines where enzymes knock off each end sugar consecutively. You knock off end sugars rapidly and continuously, and they are absorbed immediately. All simple sugars and starches that are broken down rapidly go into the bloodstream rapidly, to cause a high rise in blood sugar.
Resistant starches contain long chains of sugars that cannot release their end sugars, so they are not absorbed. They pass to the colon where bacteria convert them into fatty acids that help prevent colon cancer and heart attacks. That's why you want to eat carbohydrates that release their sugars slowly and restrict carbohydrates that release sugars rapidly. The easier it is to break carbohydrates down into single sugars, the higher your blood sugar level rises and the more insulin you produce.
When a whole grain is ground into a powder, it loses its protective capsule that keeps it from being broken down so quickly. See my page on the .
The most healthful carbohydrates are those left with fiber where nature puts them: in whole grains, beans, nuts and other seeds, vegetables and fruits. The most harmful carbohydrates for diabetics and people who are trying to lose weight are foods made from : flour, white rice or milled corn, fruit juices and all extracted sugars. Forget the sugar-free bakery products; they offer no benefit whatsoever.

Think of Diabetes as an allergy to Sugars......you body can not properly process it.

If you are allergic to Nuts or Shell Fish you do not eat it, because you will get sick and may die.

Sugar can do the same thing to you if you are a Diabetic.............Drugs can help your body tolerate some Carbs or Sugars.
But not in large amounts.............

That diet you are given is not to limit your food choices but rather it is to help you live a longer life.

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,322
Meaning, no bread?.

Based on my research and education on the subject I would say for most people no.

However eaten in moderation some people will have no issues.

20 years ago I used to go to Eastside Mario's and finish off 2 loaves with my spaghetti dinner. My pancreas was probably going berserk with all the high sugar levels I was introducing into my system. Not a good idea.

papasmerf

Joined Aug 9, 2010
Messages 33,614
Based on my research and education on the subject I would say for most people no.

However eaten in moderation some people will have no issues.

20 years ago I used to go to Eastside Mario's and finish off 2 loaves with my spaghetti dinner. My pancreas was probably going berserk with all the high sugar levels I was introducing into my system. Not a good idea.

One of the things I recommend is if you are having Pasta skip the Bread.............You body just don't need all those sugars.
One loaf of Italian Bread could be a full pound of flour or more................However a full serving of Pasta is about 1/2 a pound for the huge plates and 1/4 of a pound for the smaller plates. Not to mention the sugars the sauce adds.

C

cristycurves

I am torturing my bod:( home today not feeling great from a little wine, popcorn and to much chocolate yesterday. So today I had a big helping of pasta with tomato sauce and 3 ice cream drum sticks, lol, obviously I'm still not feeling great! Can't win:( sugar is evil.

Top Bottom