Made with Love

Constable forgiven for role in friend’s death

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,322
Forgiveness does not often make its way into a courtroom.

But it filled the seats as a Brantford police constable pleaded guilty to impaired driving while the family of his friend who died that night offered love and support.

Ryan Grant wept openly, sometimes becoming unable to speak, as he apologized in a Hamilton courtroom Friday for his role in the death of his pal, Joey Flaherty. Just behind him, Flaherty's family wept, too.

"One life has been taken all too tragically," wrote Flaherty's mother, Janice, in a victim impact statement. "There is no need to end or cut short another life and career. It was a terrible, terrible accident."

"Our lives are forever changed. Please find it in your hearts to forgive, as we have, and let Ryan walk with his head held high."
Justice Timothy Culver said the statement was the most "inspiring and heart-wrenching" he has read in 21 years on the bench.
The court appearance, which lasted less than an hour, ended with nearly everyone — including court staff — in tears.

In a joint submission, Crown and defence agreed Grant's impairment did not directly cause Flaherty's death on Aug. 25, 2014. Grant's blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit. Flaherty, who had also been drinking, leaned out of Grant's Jeep and fell on his head. He was 27.

A charge of impaired driving causing death was withdrawn. Grant, 34, was fined $1,500 and his driver's licence was suspended for one year.
He had been suspended with pay, but that suspension was lifted following his plea. He will be back to work Monday — despite being unable to drive — and awaits a disciplinary hearing.

Flaherty, who worked for the City of Oakville, and Grant were on a tournament-winning baseball team that Sunday, according to an agreed statement of facts. They celebrated with the team first at The Phoenix pub at McMaster University and then, from about 6 to 11 p.m. at The West End pub. From there, they went to The Snooty Fox in Westdale.

Grant was drinking beer. Flaherty, Red Bull and vodka. At 1:15 a.m. they left The Snooty Fox to go back to The West End. Grant was driving his 1997 Jeep TJ with the roof and doors removed. Flaherty was in the passenger seat.

At 1:30 a.m., the Jeep was southbound on Emerson Avenue. Two pedestrians said it was "travelling at the speed limit" and there was "no erratic driving."

At Mapes Avenue, Flaherty stood, leaned out and hollered at passersby while holding the roll bar.
He then fell out of the Jeep.

Grant stopped immediately and tried to help him. When Hamilton police became involved, Grant identified himself as the driver, admitted to drinking, declined the opportunity to call a lawyer, gave a detailed video statement and submitted to a breathalyzer test.

His readings were 200 and 180 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. The legal limit is 80.
At 5:30 that morning, Flaherty's mother opened her door to four police officers. In her statement she describes Grant's distress after Joe was pronounced dead.

"I took his face in my hands and said, 'Ryan, look at me. This is not your fault. It was a terrible accident and the shoe could have been on the other foot … Please promise me that you won't do anything stupid.'" She asked him where his gun was.

He stood with the family during the funeral, eulogized his friend and remains close to the Flaherty family.

Grant, who is single and lives in Dundas, was a member of the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry before joining Peel Regional Police. He was there eight years and has been with Brantford for two.

With a sheet of paper in his hands, Grant stood and asked to address the court. He immediately began to cry.
"Your Honour, on Aug. 25, 2014, I made a decision to operate my vehicle while intoxicated. By making that decision, I let down my family, my friends, the community I've chosen to serve, the Flaherty family and my friend Joe.

Your Honour, I've dedicated my life thus far to the protection of people and I've tried to do this to the best of my abilities. Driving while intoxicated that night I failed to do that and consequently I lost a friend and the Flahertys lost a son and a brother.

"I will live with that decision for the rest of my life."

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/5574998-constable-forgiven-for-role-in-friend-s-death/

Top Bottom