Made with Love

Is the house market about to bubble and bust?.

R

ReservoirDog

U.S. short sellers betting on Canadian housing crash: ‘An accident waiting to happen’

VANCOUVER — Large Wall Street investors who made billions when the U.S. housing market collapsed in 2008 are now betting real estate values in Vancouver and other Canadian cities will crash, financial insiders say.

The hedge fund investors, known as short sellers, are betting against what they believe is a housing bubble in Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary and other Canadian cities. They believe Canadians hold too much mortgage debt, and that Canadian banks, mortgage insurers and “subprime” private lenders will lose money on unpaid loans when property prices fall.

“The cross currents are beyond crazy in Vancouver — it’s a mix of money laundering, speculation, low interest rates,” said Marc Cohodes, once called Wall Street’s highest-profile short-seller by The New York Times. “A house is something you live in, but in Vancouver you guys are trading them like the penny stocks on Howe Street.”

He says Vancouver real estate has reached peak insanity, and any number of factors could trigger a collapse.

Local real estate professionals predicted the U.S. investors are likely to lose their shirts betting against Vancouver property, which they described as a special market thriving on international
demand....

Baz

Joined Feb 29, 2012
Messages 1,853
This housing bubble scare is wishful thinking on the part of shrewd investors. It's their hope that they may profit over other's misfortunes. The housing market , especially in Toronto which is a strong and vibrant market for sellers. It's unfortunate for first time buyers but it is a free market completely based on supply and demand. Living in the beaches I'm constantly inundated with Realtors claiming they have a buyer for my home. I literally receive 3 visits a week to my front door and probably 5 calls a week from different Realtors asking to list my property. I'm not selling but I am looking to purchase an investment property or two in the city.

peace

Reviewer
Joined Dec 23, 2010
Messages 29,067
This housing bubble scare is wishful thinking on the part of shrewd investors. It's their hope that they may profit over other's misfortunes. The housing market , especially in Toronto which is a strong and vibrant market for sellers. It's unfortunate for first time buyers but it is a free market completely based on supply and demand. Living in the beaches I'm constantly inundated with Realtors claiming they have a buyer for my home. I literally receive 3 visits a week to my front door and probably 5 calls a week from different Realtors asking to list my property. I'm not selling but I am looking to purchase an investment property or two in the city.

ANy good looking female agents? :) I actually met one 3weeks ago who gave me a quote .......and.....I see her sometimes since then (she asked me out). :great:

muckin

Reviewer
Joined Apr 14, 2010
Messages 2,215
As hard and shocking as this may be I actually agree with baz on something lol as long as rates are low, supply is low and demand is high nothing is bursting here.

JessieJames

Reviewer
Joined Dec 31, 2013
Messages 774
As hard and shocking as this may be I actually agree with baz on something lol as long as rates are low, supply is low and demand is high nothing is bursting here.

I also agree and if the interest rates remain this low it's only going to spur on the market and why shouldn't it? All these so called real-estate experts wishing for the bubble to burst and higher interest rates-does it help first time buyers and our kids if the prices drop 20% but the interest rate go up high? What's the difference? I suffered through 10% interest rates and it wasn't fun!

Madman

Reviewer
Joined Aug 12, 2011
Messages 17,534
W

Warl0ck

I did some technology work in the Alberta energy sector. Over the years there was steadfast belief that the golden goose would keep laying golden eggs and the boom would never end. After all, the fundamentals certainly pointed to continued higher prices. Then quietly the price started to fall but the wild party continued. The assumption was that the decline in prices was just temporary. Even legendary Oil man Boone Pickens claimed that (he's like 87). They were all wrong.

I think it was Gordon Gekko who said "bulls make money, bears make money, sheep get slaughtered". No boom is continuous. While one can show there are solid factors for a stable housing market, one could also point out that even a 2% rise in the prime rate would create an economic disaster. The housing shortage isn't a real shortage, but more of a manufactured one. The rise in housing has made people rich..on paper

Or maybe I'm wrong. I think it was Tony Soprano who said "buy land, they're not making any more of it".

Top Bottom