Made with Love

Would you be upset if you get a letter from your kid's School saying he/she is too fat?.

D

DannyDeVito

Massachusetts schools are sending students home with letters to their parents, but the letters don’t have anything to do with grades or behavior – they have to do with weight! This is part of a new government initiative to tell parents when their child’s BMI (body mass index) is high and give them instructions on how to deal with weight issues.

Tracy Watson, whose son attends school in North Andover, asked, “Why aren’t we having nutritionists speak to our children? Why aren’t we hiring more gym teachers? There were a number of children that went to bed not feeling so great about themselves that night.”

Her son, Cameron, agreed. “You either are anorexic, that means you are too small. Or you get the obese letter that means you are too big. You can’t be ‘just right.’”
State and local lawmakers have joined the effort to fight the so-called “fat letters.”

H

HOF

I have a better idea.

Why not start with taking the pop machines and junk food offering in the cafeterias out of the schools first.

Apparently the TDSB is moving towards a healthy caferteria program and rooftop food grow-ops to teach students. I`ve always thought home economics should be a mandatory course incorporated with health and sexual education. Budgeting should be included so should parenting, CPR and first aid. Must be taken in grade 9-11 with option for grade 12. They should be full credit courses, really the students need to do community volunteering before graduating; it`s time they learn how to function as adults, care for themselves and others.

There is going to be a segment on CTV news 18:00 hours tomorrow.
h8A7B066A

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,322
HOF said:
Apparently the TDSB is moving towards a healthy caferteria program and rooftop food grow-ops to teach students. I`ve always thought home economics should be a mandatory course incorporated with health and sexual education. Budgeting should be included so should parenting, CPR and first aid. Must be taken in grade 9-11 with option for grade 12. They should be full credit courses, really the students need to do community volunteering before graduating; it`s time they learn how to function as adults, care for themselves and others.

There is going to be a segment on CTV news 18:00 hours tomorrow.

The TDSB needs to move faster. Childhood obesity is a big problem.

thesun

Reviewer
Joined Jul 23, 2012
Messages 1,333
I wonder if this is all a lip service. I think it is a noble approach of TDSB to tackle on child obesity but is it enough. Education is the key but actions speak louder than words.

thesun

Reviewer
Joined Jul 23, 2012
Messages 1,333
Sorry Jessica. I was replying to HOF but I do agree with you. In Toronto, did you know GYM isn't mandatory in highschool (after Grade 9 or 10. ) Secondly, at the elementary level, many teachers who teach GYM are not qualified nor have much experience in health and physical education.  In addition, some gym classes are offered twice a week. Personally they should be offered everyday.

IFUSEEKAMY

Advertiser
Joined Sep 14, 2010
Messages 6,932
It is not the school's responsibility to ensure my child is healthy and getting enough exercise, it is mine as a parent. Do parents take time out of their busy lives to actively play with their kids everyday? My parents couldn't be bothered but they also didn't care where I was when I wasn't in school until I became a teenager.

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,322
IfYouSeekAmy said:
It is not the school's responsibility to ensure my child is healthy and getting enough exercise, it is mine as a parent.

I believe it should come from both sides.

Our children minds are young and impressionable and need to be taught the right message at an early age.

What better place to start but in school.

Part of the problem could be that when one generation was not taught anything about health and fitness in school when they grew up. They in turn negatively influenced their kids through their ignorance.

But now we have the ability to reverse that and give our kids and their kids a healthier future.

train

Reviewer
Joined Apr 19, 2010
Messages 1,953
I don't know about schools but kids have less and less physical activity these days organized or not. Before computers and video games - winter was pond (outdoor skating rink) or street hockey, spring and summer was baseball and summer and fall was football. Never game inside until it was dinner time.

I guess since the teachers have taken theirs balls and gone home in Ontario it's even worse here.

As Bosco says, taking the crap out of the high school vending machines would be a logical move.

papasmerf

Joined Aug 9, 2010
Messages 33,614
that is what happens when the Government is allowed into your lives.

Currently there is a nanny mentality in charge of this country and that ain't going anywhere until 2017

About this Discussion

17 Replies
2K Views

HUBGFE Community

HUBGFE is an all purpose Canadian adult community offering advertisers, reviews, and lots of adult fun. The site includes Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing
Top Bottom