Made with Love

Workout Woes

randygirl

Joined Jun 3, 2010
Messages 342
LOL...I just thought it was funny, how unreasonable my expectations were! haha, You should have seen me, so gung ho...and then...er...not so much. lmao I have since amended my expectations to reflect the reality, and have definitely given myself a break. The nice thing is, I can only improve the more I do them. (Er...right?)

Sets of 20? Okay, I will try and do two sets of 20 of each of those middle, left and right crunches on my workout days. Or as close as I can get to that.

One day of rest in between workout days is usually what I do.

I will post back after a couple of weeks, and we shall see if I am improving!

:)

p.s. Since I saw you mention the hula hoop, I'm on the hunt for one of those too...It's gotta be better and more fun than getting on the mat.

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,246
randygirl said:
LOL...I just thought it was funny, how unreasonable my expectations were! haha, You should have seen me, so gung ho...and then...er...not so much. lmao I have since amended my expectations to reflect the reality, and have definitely given myself a break. The nice thing is, I can only improve the more I do them. (Er...right?)

Sets of 20? Okay, I will try and do two sets of 20 of each of those middle, left and right crunches on my workout days. Or as close as I can get to that.

One day of rest in between workout days is usually what I do.

I will post back after a couple of weeks, and we shall see if I am improving!

:)

p.s. Since I saw you mention the hula hoop, I'm on the hunt for one of those too...It's gotta be better and more fun than getting on the mat.

I got mine online. Definitely more fun than crunches! :tongue:

One thing, though...it's easier on the back if you do equal time in each direction. I usually go in two or three-minute intervals. I never do more than 20 minutes in a day, and very rarely more than 14.

It might be good to start crunches with sets of 10.

OriYy.jpg

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,246
So yesterday I did more crunches than I usually do, and today I woke up with a pain in my side, under my ribs...it feels like a pulled muscle, but why would that not hurt until the next day?

More importantly, should I maintain the every-other-day workouts even if it hurts? I'm finally getting back into the habit and don't want to get out of it now.

I hope all the YoungStuff out there will take a moment to appreciate their youth....sigh it's a sad, sad day when it turns into this...

AnrkL.gif

:tongue:

browsing

Joined Apr 5, 2010
Messages 65
If it's extremely and sharply painful, then you might have pulled something. If it's just sore then that's normal and it means you're doing it right. The muscle gets slightly damaged when you stress it. In the healing process, it will repair itself and increase it's own mass which is how you build muscle :)

Modify your workout to go easy on that part until it's not as sore and then go back to normal workout routine. The more you use it, the less you'll find that you get sore.

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,246
browsing said:
If it's extremely and sharply painful, then you might have pulled something. If it's just sore then that's normal and it means you're doing it right. The muscle gets slightly damaged when you stress it. In the healing process, it will repair itself and increase it's own mass which is how you build muscle :)

Modify your workout to go easy on that part until it's not as sore and then go back to normal workout routine. The more you use it, the less you'll find that you get sore.

Oh it's definitely more than just sore. :frown:

I think it's a few days without abs-to-the-right, and no hoop either. Boo hiss. :mad:

Thanks for the advice, I'll go easy when I do them again. :mdr:

This pic makes me laugh.

RSxtU.jpg

randygirl

Joined Jun 3, 2010
Messages 342
Wow, SG...that pic is something all right! lol Dayum!

I am sorry that you are so sore today...but inside I am glad that my abs aren't the only abs feeling the revenge of the crunch. :tongue:

Gotta get me one of those hula hoops.

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,246
Ang said:
You 2 need to get a room already...............can we watch??:666:

Oddball said:
You need to start slow, let things warm-up, don't try to do too much too fast.

Then after you two are done, you might feel like working out.​

You guys are silly even by my standards...you like to think that anytime two women get along, they're hot for each other.

But in the grown-up world, that's not the case. Randy's not into girls, and I'm not into girls-who-aren't-into-girls. We're not flirting with each other at all, that's your little heads being hopeful when there is no actual reason to be so.

Which one of you is this, anyway...and was it taken this morning? :tongue:

ryg0G.jpg

randygirl

Joined Jun 3, 2010
Messages 342
SG, that pic is Ew.

After seeing it, I think I'll skip my day of rest. lol

No better motivation than that...

Glad you're feeling better!

btw: Guys, this is not code for "let's fuck", just thought I'd point that out.

ChaosTheory

Reviewer
Joined Mar 28, 2010
Messages 2,346
SillyGirl said:
More importantly, should I maintain the every-other-day workouts even if it hurts? I'm finally getting back into the habit and don't want to get out of it now.

Not to take away from browsings complete response,

the soreness a normal adaptive response, (a consequence of mucule breakdown, metabolic byproducts, rebuilding and stuff), and is colloquially called Delayed onset muscle soreness typically starting 12-48 hours an exercise routine that has been increased in intensity, duration and variety. Typically the pain lasts for a few more days after onset. I love it and hate the feeling at the same time...

A pulled muscle, muscle sprains and strains, feel different and present differently as they are acute and sudden furthermore typically are specific and abrupt occurring during the exercise and results in swelling or bruising..depending on the severity.

I definitely wait..in most cases for the muscle soreness to subside before I work out that muscle again. And then..there is not stopping me...sorta.....i need to take steroids...sigh... dam fast metabolism!

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,246
ChaosTheory said:
Not to take away from browsings complete response,

the soreness a normal adaptive response, (a consequence of mucule breakdown, metabolic byproducts, rebuilding and stuff), and is colloquially called Delayed onset muscle soreness typically starting 12-48 hours an exercise routine that has been increased in intensity, duration and variety. Typically the pain lasts for a few more days after onset. I love it and hate the feeling at the same time...

A pulled muscle, muscle sprains and strains, feel different and present differently as they are acute and sudden furthermore typically are specific and abrupt occurring during the exercise and results in swelling or bruising..depending on the severity.

I definitely wait..in most cases for the muscle soreness to subside before I work out that muscle again. And then..there is not stopping me...sorta.....i need to take steroids...sigh... dam fast metabolism!

So if it doesn't hurt until the next day, no worries? I think if I had actually pulled something, it wouldn't have felt so much better this morning.

I did stop the crunches today before I really wanted to, and only did six minutes of hoop. And I think I've decided that four revolutions would equal one crunch in each direction. So one minute is approximately 20 crunches each way, 60 total.

That seems like a lot, but I'm going with it. :mrgreen:

Do squats work inner/outer thighs too?

I haven't bought the strap-ons yet, so all I did for arms today was triceps. As long as I have the brace on, the wrist will tolerate holding the handweight down low.

I'm finding OldAge painful. :grrrrrr:

3Vl7t.jpg

ChaosTheory

Reviewer
Joined Mar 28, 2010
Messages 2,346
SillyGirl said:
So if it doesn't hurt until the next day, no worries? I think if I had actually pulled something, it wouldn't have felt so much better this morning.

Do squats work inner/outer thighs too?

lol SG.

That is right, if it does not hurt it probably ain't broke. But it still needs recovery time... remember not to over train.

Squats are simply awesome for legs. It is pretty much all encompassing utilizing the entire leg.
It mainly targets the quads (included outer thigh) and secondarily targets the inner thigh

Inner thigh: Synergistic action - more specifically the Adductor magnus muscle - pretty much that big muscle you feel at the upper most portion of your inner thigh. (there is another muscle on top of that call the gracilis)

Outer thigh: Target - Quadraceps - This bad boy is made up of 4 muscle hence the 'Quad' portion of the name. The outer most, lateral, muscle is the vastus lateralis or externus. It is located more anterolateral. And makes up the lateral (outer) portion of your sexy thigh :)
If you were to place your hand smack dab (I have ever used that term before) on the side of your leg that is the tensor fascia lata..mainly tissue (fascia) and tendon (tensor)

Here are the mucsles the squat works along with their role in the movement:

Target: Quadriceps - all four
Synergists: Gluteus Maximus (butt), Adductor Magnus, Soleus (deep calf)
Dynamic Stabilizers: Hamstrings, Gastrocnemius (superfical calf)
Stabilizers: Erector Spinae (back along spine)
Antagonist Stabilizers: Rectus Abdominis (abs), Obliques

If you wanted to target the inner thigh more directly and involve the other inner thigh muscles you could try any movement inwhich your leg is brought to midline starting from it extended to the side.

randygirl

Joined Jun 3, 2010
Messages 342
SillyGirl said:
LOL...thanks CG...um, have you done business with that site, are they legit? Strap-ons really aren't my thing, but I am needing some other stuff. :tongue:

I refused to click on it! My virgin eyes!

SG, my strap ons are fairly light, I'm not sure how much weight you are lifting? I think mine, when you factor in the weighted gloves, are 2.5 to 3 lbs.

You might not like them, but after an hour of walking with arm movements, it is a really good workout. I'm noticing way more definition in my arms.

What is really great about them for you, is the fact that they sit above the wrist and it is the elbow joint that has most of the pressure from the weights on it, instead of your wrist when you are using hand helds. I think that they would be perfect for you in that regard. (If, of course, you can find some to accommodate the amount you usually lift!)

The make of my wrist weights is York. They are thin, and nice to wear. Some brands are just way too bulky.

Top Bottom