Made with Love
Toronto Tryst

Workout Woes

• Welcome to the new CAERF.
    New management and more commited than ever! Have a look at some of the new features HERE.
    If you experience any issue please let us know in the proper forum.

SillyGirl

Queen of Boots and Cupcakes
Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,250
I don't know what a macronutrient profile is or how to change it. If most of what I eat is either fruit, salad, chicken, turkey or cheese, is that ok?

How big an issue is the sugar in the sweet tea? Hello, my name is SillyGirl, and I'm a sweet teaaholic. :blush:

Thanks for all of your help, Maurice.

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,337
SillyGirl said:
I don't know what a macronutrient profile is or how to change it. If most of what I eat is either fruit, salad, chicken, turkey or cheese, is that ok?

How big an issue is the sugar in the sweet tea? Hello, my name is SillyGirl, and I'm a sweet teaaholic. :blush:

Thanks for all of your help, Maurice.

Our macronutrients are carbs/protein/fat

Conventional thought is that a 60%/30%/10% is ideal.

But I will tell you that balance is a recipe for gaining weight.

Sugar should be avoided as much as possible.

It causes an increase in insulin levels. Insulin is a storage hormone leading directly to fat storage.

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,250
I don't eat a lot of carbs, I mostly just daydream about them. sigh I will cut down on the tea, I know, I have a problem.

Is there any benefit to taking Krill every other day instead of daily? When I took it every day the bruising thing got worse.

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,337
SillyGirl said:
Is there any benefit to taking Krill every other day instead of daily? When I took it every day the bruising thing got worse.

Hmmmm.......I would switch to ground flax seeds and add them to your salads daily.

You will be able to find them at that natural food store you were telling me about in chat.

Dan

Reviewer
Joined Feb 13, 2010
Messages 3,162
Excellent thread, thank you MB and SG. How many times a day should one eat? I am told 5 to 6 times a day, small meals of course.

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,337
Dan said:
Excellent thread, thank you MB and SG. How many times a day should one eat? I am told 5 to 6 times a day, small meals of course.

I eat 4-5 times per day myself.

But I don't eat any cereal grains or breads so my total carb count most likely doesn't exceed much over 100 grams a day.

I read once that sumo wrestlers in an effort to gain weight only eat twice per day.

They skip breakfast and gorge on lunch and right before bed. Eating in the old days tons of rice.

Before I knew better about 25 years ago I used eat 6 cups (cooked) of brown rice a day. Plus around 200-250 grams of protein daily and not to much fat.

I weighed consistently between 250-285lb's for years but Although strong as an ox didn't look to good with my shirt off.

By dropping the carbs and increasing my fat intake ( 100 grams/ day) I was able to actually drop weight and lower my body fat level substantially.

Then the injuries caught up to me......But it was a fun ride while it lasted,lol.

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,250
Maurice Boscorelli said:
Hmmmm.......I would switch to ground flax seeds and add them to your salads daily.

You will be able to find them at that natural food store you were telling me about in chat.

Blech! I mean, um, ok. How much per day, and do they have to be with food? Some days I don't eat much.

The other day I was told of the website of a Dr. Mercola, haven't you mentioned him before? I looked at it and it seemed like it would be right up your alley.

As always, I appreciate your input, thank you.

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,337
SillyGirl said:
Blech! I mean, um, ok. How much per day, and do they have to be with food? Some days I don't eat much.

The other day I was told of the website of a Dr. Mercola, haven't you mentioned him before? I looked at it and it seemed like it would be right up your alley.

As always, I appreciate your input, thank you.

''Blech''..........Sounds like you have convinced yourself before you have tasted them. In which case you are doomed to not succeed.

And yes you add them with food. To eat them alone well the taste would be to bland for most people I would imagine.

Yes I have read Dr. Mercola's views on health and agree with most of what he stands for. Here's quote from him about insulin.

''insulin is the key to the vast majority of chronic illness''

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,250
I said Blech! because I used to use those Mila seeds and didn't care for them much, but you're right I should not assume the flax seeds will be the same. Thank you for the advice.

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,250
Maurice Boscorelli said:
Alternate between opposing muscle groups.

Such as chest/back, quads/hams, Bi's/tri's.

Just rest for as long as it takes to get to the next exercise. Once the 2nd exercise is completed then return to the first.

Complete 3 or 4 cycles of for example bench presses/ bent over rows and then go on to a completely different grouping.

This will speed your workout up considerably as well

How does this work with abs? If I change direction with every set, are the muscles from the previous set resting? Or are all those muscles too close together for that? :dontknow:

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,250
I am involved in a contest on another board, and if I don't lose at least 7 lbs. by 4/15, my new name will be Fatso. :sad:

Joined Oct 25, 2011
Messages 10,811
Well we will have to monitor the outcome of this contest. Being that we are the "nicer" board, if you lose, is it acceptable to refer to you as "fluffy"?

:biggrin:

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,250
Yes thank you, Fluffy would be so much nicer. :roll:

ChaosTheory

Reviewer
Joined Mar 28, 2010
Messages 2,346
SillyGirl said:
How does this work with abs?

Treat abs as you would any muscle group giving 2-3 days rest, depending on intensity. Some work them out every 48 hours. First day, high reps with body weight. The next ab workout day weighted lower reps.
Remember to workout obliques and lower back as well to tighten the core, and tilt the pelvis in ensure proper lumbar alignment. (weak abs tend to hyper-extend the pelvis, external rotation, causing an increased lumbar curvature making it more susceptible to lower back pathologies.)

If I change direction with every set, are the muscles from the previous set resting? Or are all those muscles too close together for that? :dontknow:

The work out routine outlined by Maurcio is a common pairing of muscle groups. I did at one time do this and do come back to it as I change my routine regularly to avoid burn-out and boredom.
Choose a workout routine that works for you.

Good questions.
chest/back - they are antagonistic and protagonistic muscle group, they oppose and work as the other rests etc as you suggest. I find that these muscle groups require heavy and a more demanding workout routine as they are large (demands on your goals).

One of my cycles involves me grouping muscle groups that work together to allow sufficient rest.

For example:
3 Days on 1 Day off.
back/biceps - back workouts recruit the biceps
chest/triceps - chest workouts use the triceps
shoulders/back - upper back and rows use the rear delts and traps
legs.

I do exhaust these muscle groups therefore work them out once or twice as week and not 3-4 times a week as in the routine mentioned before (eg. if I did back/chest on day 1 and bi's/tri's on day 2 I would be targeting/using the biceps and triceps on two consecutive days without rest, and give a 4 day on 1 day off cycle that means I would be working that muscle group 3 times that week)
The split I listed allows adequate rest. However, if you exhaust your chest, your triceps will be exhausted and lead to a less weight bearing workout, but with adequate rest this can be largely overcome.

I also have used a 6 day workout. 6 days on 1 day off.
Day 1 chest
Day 2 back
Day 3 arms
Day 4 Quads
Day 5 shoulders
Day 6 - hams and calves
Day 7 rest.
Abs every other day.

Depends on your time, and goals.
Cardio, Cardio, Cardio! Get ripped!

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,250
ChaosTheory said:
Cardio, Cardio, Cardio! Get ripped!

Wow, thanks for all the info. Normally I hate cardio and avoid it, but in the interest of not being called Fatso I'm adding it in.

Funny how motivating the prospect of public humiliation can be...

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,250
I would be an excellent fluffer! :music:

So far this diet thing isn't going very well...for three days I've done all the things you're supposed to do, even eating breakfast, and I've gained a pound. :sad::sad:

Madman

Reviewer
Joined Aug 12, 2011
Messages 17,542
SillyGirl said:
I would be an excellent fluffer! :music:

So far this diet thing isn't going very well...for three days I've done all the things you're supposed to do, even eating breakfast, and I've gained a pound. :sad::sad:

Take a picture of your ass today and lets us see, then take a picture next week in the same position and let us see. We will tell you where you are going wrong!

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,250
Madman said:
Take a picture of your ass today and lets us see, then take a picture next week in the same position and let us see. We will tell you where you are going wrong!

That's a great idea! Here ya go....

:tongue:

Top Bottom