Made with Love
Toronto Passions
Mirage Entertainment
  • Welcome to the new CAERF.
    New management and more commited than ever! Have a look at some of the new features HERE.
    If you experience any issue please let us know in the proper forum.
C

cristycurves

lets talk about wine, favorites, facts, or anything wine related.
here's something I didn't know
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...tting-teeth-at-risk-study-finds-10141408.html

want to know how to make your corks into candles? Soak them in a covered mason jar filled with acetone alcohol for a week then light
did you know Malbecs and Cabernet Sauvignons have higher amounts of tanins than Pinot noirs, therefore more likely to cause you headaches.

share your fave or tips ....

papasmerf

Joined Aug 9, 2010
Messages 33,654
I have found that Organic Wines that have no added Sulfates do not cause the dry nose and headaches typical of red wines.

There are few producers of this type of wine.
The term ORGANIC typically only applies to the juices used and not the process.

Sulfates are added to retard spoilage and stop fermentation.
Just like the wines Grandpa made a true organic needs to be treated with respect to avoid spoilage.

papasmerf

Joined Aug 9, 2010
Messages 33,654
cristycurves said:
Thanks Papa, organic might be the way to go here is an interesting article on Canadian organic wines https://thetyee.ca/Life/2006/04/10/DirtOrganicWines/
An interesting point about Sulfates, the article indicates about 5% of the population is allergic to them.
That is supported by every other article I have read on the subject.
Keep in mine that 5% is one in twenty. When viewed in that light the realistic number seems higher.

God

Joined Oct 3, 2015
Messages 7,814
Decant a bottle then decant it again to another decanter. Says it ages 1 year if you do that.

What I have been told.

papasmerf

Joined Aug 9, 2010
Messages 33,654
God said:
Decant a bottle then decant it again to another decanter. Says it ages 1 year if you do that.

What I have been told.

Not sure if decanting MD 20/20 actually improves it...Will take your word.

Joined Oct 25, 2011
Messages 10,811
If you ever find yourself out by Rochester NY, stop by Casa Larga vineyards.
https://www.casalarga.com/

I don't know wines, but I know that I've never had one from them I disliked. They have a great shop and you can purchase a wine tasting (or if they're slow, they've offered it for free). The staff is helpful and knowledgeable and I always enjoy stopping there. My favorite wine of theirs is the Petite Noir.

luton

Reviewer
Joined Jul 26, 2015
Messages 352
Check out #victorwine101 on twitter for some interesting facts on wine.

Bo Jackson

Joined Jan 28, 2015
Messages 124
I rather have a 30 year old Burgundy than a 10 year old California Cabernet, Google why.

oldguyzer

Reviewer
Joined Jun 19, 2011
Messages 15,082
papasmerf said:
An interesting point about Sulfates, the article indicates about 5% of the population is allergic to them.
That is supported by every other article I have read on the subject.
Keep in mine that 5% is one in twenty. When viewed in that light the realistic number seems higher.

It's sulfites that are the major problem with wine, not sulfates.

C

cristycurves

oldguyzer said:
It's sulfites that are the major problem with wine, not sulfates.

:) the tannins may also cause some problems:(

oldguyzer

Reviewer
Joined Jun 19, 2011
Messages 15,082
cristycurves said:
:) the tannins may also cause some problems:(

Yep. But, on the positive side, the resveratrol is going to help you live longer and healthier.

Prim0

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Messages 10,859
I just don't care for wine. I can drink it, but it's not something I'm going to put any thought into. Perhaps I just don't have the palate for it.

Joined Oct 25, 2011
Messages 10,811

Anto

Joined Jan 11, 2012
Messages 2,472
Bo Jackson said:
I rather have a 30 year old Burgundy than a 10 year old California Cabernet, Google why.

Nothing better than a vintage Barolo.

Top Bottom