Made with Love
Toronto Passions
Toronto Girlfriends

Who's still here?

• Welcome to the new CAERF.
    New management and more commited than ever! Have a look at some of the new features HERE.
    If you experience any issue please let us know in the proper forum.

What A Wookie

Reviewer
Joined Dec 21, 2009
Messages 2,660
Haven't been on good ol' Caerf in a while. Wasn't that active pre-pandemic and have been hiding out since....

Jenesis

Advertiser
Joined Jul 14, 2020
Messages 58
Im still here. I check in a couple times a week.

ROBERTSON

Joined Mar 27, 2018
Messages 1,397
Man I remember when this was a real happening place.......Now it's a wasteland.
Hopefully its simply Covid and the the "enterprise" involved here, and will come back to life when the virus is under control, maybe late this summer.

Normally my threads would have some here calling me every name in the book, but nothing, except for the lovely Jenesis's open minded replies.

IFUSEEKAMY

Advertiser
Joined Sep 14, 2010
Messages 6,933
I do miss posting here and reading posts from members who have seemed to vanish into thin air. I know a lot goes on behind the scenes that majority of us have no knowledge of as to why some people stopped visiting Caerf :(
On one of my hikes through a conservation area last month, I could have sworn I bumped into Swede walking his dog. Social distancing made it impossible for me to know for sure, but if you're reading this and/or know more, please reach out!

What A Wookie

Reviewer
Joined Dec 21, 2009
Messages 2,660
I took a look to see if my old threads are still there... Lol I don't remember a lot of those "meetings"... Getting old :LOL:

demien3k5

Joined Mar 24, 2017
Messages 1,234
Man I remember when this was a real happening place.......Now it's a wasteland.
Yeah, kinda makes me feel like getting wasted...thanks for the suggestion!
Adopt Best Friends GIF by Best Friends Animal Society

ForumTech

I just do all the tech stuff
Administrator
Joined Dec 13, 2020
Messages 12
Question when did this site go silent. I remember 2015 and how busy it was
It happened a year ago when the old management didn't care about it so it started to death slowly.

Things have changed a lot since then. We are actively working on it and I'm hoping old members to come back and start participating again :)

LTO_3

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Messages 821
It happened a year ago when the old management didn't care about it so it started to death slowly.

Things have changed a lot since then. We are actively working on it and I'm hoping old members to come back and start participating again :)
I don't disagree but the new owners were also very slow to get the board to look like it does now. In fact this entire board was in a bland black and white state for quite a while, where you couldn't distinguish between the different sections.
That alone will drive away members especially if nothing was posted saying anything about what was being done...or if there was something posted, I couldn't find it.

Maybe it's just me but I find this board is a bit clunky compared to it's previous format and other boards.

LTO_3

ForumTech

I just do all the tech stuff
Administrator
Joined Dec 13, 2020
Messages 12
I don't disagree but the new owners were also very slow to get the board to look like it does now. In fact this entire board was in a bland black and white state for quite a while, where you couldn't distinguish between the different sections.
That alone will drive away members especially if nothing was posted saying anything about what was being done...or if there was something posted, I couldn't find it.

Maybe it's just me but I find this board is a bit clunky compared to it's previous format and other boards.

LTO_3
I'm in charge of the technical part of the forum so any suggestion is appreciated. The main board color is red (associated to +18 content) and we have different colors depending on the city you are interested in.
I couldn't find any thread about suggestion on the old board so I didn't have too much information to start working with so I followed my intuition.

compared to it's previous format and other boards
So do you think all boards should look the same? If that's the case, how would you notice CAERF is being maintened and has more attention from the owners than the competitors? There are other boards over there which looks old-fashioned and have technical issues (like web hosting) so we want to give a renewed image of what CAERF is now.

LTO_3

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Messages 821
I'm in charge of the technical part of the forum so any suggestion is appreciated. The main board color is red (associated to +18 content) and we have different colors depending on the city you are interested in.
I couldn't find any thread about suggestion on the old board so I didn't have too much information to start working with so I followed my intuition.

So do you think all boards should look the same? If that's the case, how would you notice CAERF is being maintened and has more attention from the owners than the competitors? There are other boards over there which looks old-fashioned and have technical issues (like web hosting) so we want to give a renewed image of what CAERF is now.
You may or may not remember but we've had this discussion back on Dec 16/17, 2020 via PMs. That's when you colour coded CAERF as it is now from the black and white it was then.
To answer your question if all boards should look the same, my answer is yes & no. In fact most boards do look very similar but each board puts their own sections & rules in place that sets them apart, even though many of those rules are similar on all boards. It comes down to engaging member and advertises in various sections and enforcement of those rules and also knowing who all the mods/admins are. Besides yourself I have no idea and I'm guessing most others don't know who the admins/mods are.

Just from observation, I've noticed use of this board compared to the many others I use is very low, even the TO section. That's something you can't deny. In fact I've noticed a drop off on most boards but this one most of all. And having all of Ontario, except TO, listed under one big section is different and would be difficult to find reviews/info IF that section was busy. Area's for Hamilton, London and Niagara should be busy but aren't.
How to improve that might be getting you, admin(s) and any advertisers to get the word out about CAERF.

To me I find how the other boards function is much smoother and easier than this one. Maybe that's just me but as I said that's just my observation.
Now, if that's a temporary issue until all upgrades are completed then an FYI by the mods/admin of what's still being done or in process is a nice touch. Although rare, I've seen this done on a couple boards and it's a nice touch because it gets commentary flowing from users and in some cases may help your group add things or leave things out.

And yes some boards are more tired than others. If you want to step this board up I applaud you. As I said these are just my 2 cents on what I've observed and mean no disrespect to you or your group.

LTO_3

Jenesis

Advertiser
Joined Jul 14, 2020
Messages 58
I think there are two problems.

1. This board was started by a bunch of hobbyist annoyed with the ERBs and started their own board. Those members are basically gone now and were really the core membership base that would keep the site going.

2. It was a mainly agency based board which don’t bring women. It brings agency owners who only post in the ad section. It made many indies feel this was an agency board and so they stopped coming. That stops female interaction in the general forums and then it is nothing but a sausage fest. Which can drive men away.

Now the board is kinda left with that legacy. People have “already tried” the board so they are not coming back and without serious advertising, getting new members is going to be hard.

LTO_3

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Messages 821
Agree 100%. Advertising and getting the word out is the way to go. Might be difficult but that's one option. Another might be to approach some of the well known indy SPs to spread the word. Not certain if there are ad fees or not but if there is reduce that rate to bring in the indy SPs for the next year or two. Bring the ladies - indy & agency - will bring the guys.

LTO_3

MayaBesos22

Joined Dec 11, 2019
Messages 11
I think it would take alot of work to bring this board back up to the top levels again

In a way you need whoever is in charge to create incentives that would appeal to fellow hobbyists on other boards as well as sps.

ROBERTSON

Joined Mar 27, 2018
Messages 1,397
I still don't understand why nobody is willing to bring up the elephant in the room,... COVID-19.

If anybody thinks that has no effect on traffic here, needs to get their head out of the sand box.

The state of this site, has little or nothing to do with management.

MayaBesos22

Joined Dec 11, 2019
Messages 11
Everyones knows covid has hindered the hobbying world among others

Perhaps when more people get vaccinated it may allow us to live alil more

Top Bottom