Made with Love

Who pays more to buy organic food.

Iambad

Joined Jan 28, 2010
Messages 899
Re: Who pays more to buy organic food.

Why dish out almost 50% more for it. Lived without all our lives and no one died of it. Wasting our money because there's no proof that conventially produced foods pose significant health risks.

jumpingjackflash

Reviewer
Joined Jan 7, 2010
Messages 2,940

My problem is that I don't believe them when they say organic. How much regular produce is mixed in with the organic? How are you going to prove other wise? I think it is a license to charge more.

dreamblade

Reviewer
Joined Dec 5, 2009
Messages 1,080

Actually, there was a Penn and Teller Bullshit episode about this very topic. They reported that in blind taste tests, you couldn't tell the difference or even preferred the non-organic, regular grocery stuff. The production costs of growing organic food are also higher and have less yield, AND the foods have a higher risk of going bad.

Finally, I've always found the term "Organic Food" to be kind of stupid. Aside from chips with olestra, all food is organic.

Rock

Joined Jan 31, 2010
Messages 115

Critics argue that organic farming leads to the risk of contamination with potentially dangerous bacteria and mould toxins, and increased levels of 'natural pesticide' found in organic produce could even be as dangerous as synthetic chemicals.

Who do we believe?

Raiden

Reviewer
Joined Nov 6, 2009
Messages 6,563

I have never bothered with the organic section. I also think it's a scam like bottled water. Only advantage to bottled water is the convenience of taking it with you but as for it being better quality, I don't buy into it.

jumpingjackflash

Reviewer
Joined Jan 7, 2010
Messages 2,940
I prefer the organic items when possible. It may be a psychological issue but in my opinion it tastes better, again I am aware of the fact that this may be all in my head. I hope I am not being swindled by the grocery chains as they are taking my extra pennies away from the odd extra play session.

Top Bottom