Made with Love
Pure Pleasure Spa

Van Damme vs Steven Segal . . . who'd win?

• Welcome to the new CAERF.
    New management and more commited than ever! Have a look at some of the new features HERE.
    If you experience any issue please let us know in the proper forum.

ChaosTheory

Reviewer
Joined Mar 28, 2010
Messages 2,346
frankpost said:
Jean Claude is 5'10"; Steven Segal is 6'4". Just like the MMA fights, Steven would ground and pound Jean Claude with his height and weight advantage. IMO.

You have to see UFC's GSP, then this point will become moot

Kyra.Graves

Joined Dec 16, 2009
Messages 327
Van Damme has a pretty good fight record, he worked his way into Hollywood as a fighter. To the best of my knowledge no one has ever confirmed Seagals background, if it is legit then I would put my money on him (though I am biased towards his fight style) but his training and background isn't tested where Van Dammes is and I believe experience in the ring matters. So I go with Van Damme for the win.

I won't comment about personality, lets face it lots of idiots win fights and lots of fighters with class and a true respect for their martial art never make it into professional fighting.

D

Demien2k5

My votes go to Mia Hamm and Cassie Campbell - very tough chicks, man.

(At least I seem to remember someone holding them up as prime examples of toughness in some lame thread I started way back when)

Watch out Segal and Van Damme - dem' bitches is BAD! :cool:

Darren

Joined Mar 10, 2010
Messages 94
I have seen a Segal's aikido training video at least 10-12 years ago. He is kickass guy. I am sure he will have no problem kicking damme's ass

J

JohnFK

Steve Seagall is so arrogant (I remember when he was on some talk show, he rolled his eyes about Van Damme) that even in his prime, VD might have beat him.

Now, there was an early martial arts film with Jackie Chan as a side kick. Was he a serious fighter at one time? I know he does more action comedy now with his own stunts, but was he a serious fighter earlier in his career?

There's nobody that comes close to Bruce Lee. Even 7th Degree Dan Kung-Fu masters will say that Bruce Lee was an extraordinary technician.

What was his variant of Kung Fu called? The way of the vibrating palm or fist or something like that?

dreamblade

Reviewer
Joined Dec 5, 2009
Messages 1,082
JohnFK said:
Steve Seagall is so arrogant (I remember when he was on some talk show, he rolled his eyes about Van Damme) that even in his prime, VD might have beat him.

Now, there was an early martial arts film with Jackie Chan as a side kick. Was he a serious fighter at one time? I know he does more action comedy now with his own stunts, but was he a serious fighter earlier in his career?

There's nobody that comes close to Bruce Lee. Even 7th Degree Dan Kung-Fu masters will say that Bruce Lee was an extraordinary technician.

What was his variant of Kung Fu called? The way of the vibrating palm or fist or something like that?

Segal is the real deal. Despite his lousy attitude, he is still respected for being the first white man to open a dojo in Japan. And considering this was an Aikido dojo, long considered to be too Japanese for gaijin to understand properly let alone master, that's huge. Still, his ego is enormous, and he represents the worst in how a martial artist should behave.

Van Damme had done competition in Shotokan and kickboxing, I believe, so he does have some fighting cred. I always liked him better as a star.

As for Bruce Lee, the style of kungfu he trained in was Wing Chun. He then expanded on the philosophy taught in his style to create Jeet Kune Do, which is not a martial art but rather a system. "The Way of the Intercepting Fist" is a way of thinking that breaks practitioners out of the rigid constraints of their styles, to do what works best.

In a fight between JCVD and Segal, my money would, sadly, be on Segal. His is the more street-practical style. Van Damme's Shotokan/Northern Kung Fu/TKD amalgam looks great on film, but it's not at all practical.

TKD is not even a real martial art anymore. Any style that punishes for hitting too hard and encourages you to drop your hands in a fight is just dancing.

R

ReservoirDog

Had to bring up this old thread.

All grown up now.

Top Bottom