Made with Love

Type of scams to avoid.

God

Joined Oct 3, 2015
Messages 7,795
RAWD said:
That's why most law firms require a holding period for trust cheques before they disburse any funds.

USA banks or Nigerian banks?. "Some law firms are pursuing legal action against banks that cleared the phony checks."

RAWD

Joined Mar 11, 2010
Messages 2,166
GOD said:
USA banks or Nigerian banks?. "Some law firms are pursuing legal action against banks that cleared the phony checks."

Good question. I know of at least one seven sister law firm that got taken for six figures on a cheque that was drawn from a US bank.

I don't think (hope?) that any Canadian bank would clear a Nigerian cheque as a matter of course.

Softie

Joined Jan 24, 2013
Messages 183
If you are ever going to Las Vegas, and taking a taxi from the airport you need to know about the tunnel scam. Cab drivers scam unsuspecting tourists out of money by taking "the tunnel" which is a longer way to get to every single place on the strip. It's called "long hauling" and it is absolutely widespread.

There have been tons of initiatives to stop it, but it absolutely persists. Tell the taxi driver "no tunnel" when you get in a taxi at the Las Vegas Airport. They might get upset that you are "accusing" them of long hauling you, but it's the only way to make sure they don't do this. Seriously, I'd say the majority of cab drivers in Vegas do this scam.

Raiden

Reviewer
Joined Nov 6, 2009
Messages 6,563
Softie said:
If you are ever going to Las Vegas, and taking a taxi from the airport you need to know about the tunnel scam. Cab drivers scam unsuspecting tourists out of money by taking "the tunnel" which is a longer way to get to every single place on the strip. It's called "long hauling" and it is absolutely widespread.

There have been tons of initiatives to stop it, but it absolutely persists. Tell the taxi driver "no tunnel" when you get in a taxi at the Las Vegas Airport. They might get upset that you are "accusing" them of long hauling you, but it's the only way to make sure they don't do this. Seriously, I'd say the majority of cab drivers in Vegas do this scam.

Very good to know, this way more money for the babes!

Pooldude

Joined Nov 8, 2013
Messages 403
Why is My Number Calling Me? A Crazy New Scam.

Scammers are using caller ID spoofing technology to impersonate the phone numbers of local businesses, neighbors and even you! Watch out for this wacky twist on the classic phishing phone scam.
How the Scam Works:
Your phone rings, and you look at the caller ID. You recognize the number. It may be from a local business or a neighbor down the street. But in strange twist, you might even see your own name and phone number on the caller ID screen.
You answer the phone, and it’s a robo call. Victims have reported several different phishing scams. In one common version, a recording prompts you to verify your credit card number under the guise of lowering your interest rates.
With many people rejecting calls from unfamiliar numbers, scammers are increasingly posing as familiar businesses, government organizations or people. Scammers purchase lists of phone numbers and use spoofing technology to trick potential victims into picking up the phone. Posing as your own phone number is great for shock value and for ensuring the number isn’t blocked.
What to do is a scammer calls:

• Hang up, don’t press any buttons and, if you received a voice mail message, don’t call the scammer back. We all like to have the last word, but returning the phone call may just give the con artist information he can use.

• Don’t trust CallerID. Scammers have technology that lets them display any number or organization name on your screen.

• Never give out any financial information. If you did not initiate the call, do not provide bank account, credit card or Social Security numbers over the phone unless you have thoroughly done your research and verified the caller.
For More Information
Thanks to the Better Business Bureau serving Central East Texas for their reporting on this scam. Check out their full article here.
To find out more about scams, check out BBB Scam Stopper.
https://www.bbb.org/blog/2014/06/why-is-my-number-calling-me-a-crazy-new-scam/

About this Discussion

93 Replies
17K Views

HUBGFE Community

HUBGFE is an all purpose Canadian adult community offering advertisers, reviews, and lots of adult fun. The site includes Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing
Top Bottom