Made with Love

Type of scams to avoid.

Duke69

Joined Mar 8, 2010
Messages 72
As the old saying goes, buying a car will likely be the second most expensive thing you own in your life, behind your home. But depreciation being a big killer, looking used can save you a whole bunch of money if you find a good example. However, finding that good used car is fraught with lies, scams and scuzzy salespeople.

Here are some typical used-car scams to watch out for. And remember, there's always another car out there, so if you think something is going on, just walk away.

Rock

Joined Jan 31, 2010
Messages 115
Kight Rider shares his personal experience on bying a new car, though it might help.

1. Always do your research (model, make, price, consumer reports)
There are many good research publications available, such as CarCostCanada etc, which will have the wholesale/factory cost to the dealer.

2. When entering a dealership, never give them you ID or anything else you're not willing to leave behind. Many places ask for your ID and then keep it in "the managers office" to make it harder for you to walk away.

3. Always make it clear from the outset that you want to discuss all prices in terms of the absolute final costs, (taxes in, rebates included, air tax, tire tax, freight, etc.) to drive the car off the lot. The dealers won't want to play this game, but they will, if you make it clear you will walk out if they don't. Negotiating in this way makes the process much more simple and avoids surprises at the end.

4. Let them quote you a final price (as described above) on the car you want to buy. Don't ask for any after factory options or add-ons at this stage of the discussion. Once you have this price, counter with a price lower than your "real" final price and ask for the add-ons that you want to be included.

5. Don't low-ball too much or they'll think you're wasting their time but don't allow them to push you above your final number. If you've done your research, you'll know what that number is for you. If they counter-back with a decent offer, keep bargaining but, remember, don't let yourself be persuaded to exceed your budget.

6. At the end of this process, they'll either offer you a price that's acceptable or they won't.
If they DO meet your price criteria, congratulations, you've bought a new car. Remember to stand firm on the FINAL price bit because they may try to sneak in some extra costs at the last second.

7. If they don't meet your price point, don't despair. It was a good practice run and you have a better idea of what's possible in the negotiation. Now, go to another dealer for the same brand and start again with the knowledge you've gained. You may have to adjust your bargaining strategy based on the experience and you may have to rethink your price point...but never make these decisions while inside the dealership.

B

Beenthere123

Another sucker bites the bullet, if its TGTBT then it is TGTBT.

BFDF91DC6B23E896255B537831AE.jpg

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,246
Al types of scam....Warning!.

Al types of scam....Warning!.

'Naked pic' scam spreads across Internet

Rigged file tries to lures victims into purchasing fake antivirus software

By Matt Liebowitz
SecurityNewsDaily
security_news_daily_logo.htease.jpg

updated 4/13/2011 4:28:29 PM ET 2011-04-13T20:28:29

A new email scam is hoping to catch eager Web surfers with their pants down.
The bait for this malicious online campaign is an email with the subject line "My naked pic is attached," which includes a downright salacious message, the security firm Sophos reports.

The body of the email reads: "I love wild sex and looking for a discreet partner. I have my picture attached to this email. Take a look at it and get back if you like what you see."

Recipients who simply can’t resist the temptation and open the attached .zip file aren’t greeted with the promised . Instead, the attachment contains a rigged file that tricks users into believing their system has a host of security problems, and then attempts to lure the victim into purchasing fake antivirus software.

"Hopefully most people will think with their brains and not with their trousers, and not be tempted into opening the attachment," Graham Cluley, Sophos’ senior technology consultant wrote.

As the saying goes, sex sells, and online criminals know this as well as anyone. Every week there is a new batch of scams offering "" or supposed making the Internet rounds. To stay out of trouble, security experts warn users to be extremely wary about opening attached links, especially ones that come from unknown senders.

tboy

Joined Jun 2, 2010
Messages 9,197
Yeah, people are stupid.....the only real reason for zipping a photo is if you're grouping a LOT of them together, jpg is the compression format to use so if you see ANY file come in that you don't know the sender and trust, don't open it.

Another good one going around is from UPS or "freight carrier" or DHL....it is about an attempted delivery.....a delivery notification would have been on your door, and if they were sending you a notification, it would have been in the BODY of the email, not as an attachement. There would be a link with the tracking number.

Rule of thumb? Don't open any file that uses an executable file in order for you to see it's contents. For example: you open a word document IN microsoft word, the file doesn't perform an operation itself. A PDF file uses Adobe reader, the PDF can't do anything by itself. A zip file is a self extracting file so it has a small program built in which, in this case, causes an application contained in the zip file to automatically run when extracted.

Now there ARE virus' that reside in doc files etc, but if you've kept up to date with your microsoft security updates, you should be fine......

A

Art Mann

....A new email scam is hoping to catch eager Web surfers with their pants down. ...

Best way to catch me with my pants down, SillyGirl, is walk in the room when I'm looking at your signature gif ... or at the Perfect Ass thread, come to think of it ... or Wet and Wonderful ... or ... :)

But the email scams? My pants are always up around my waist and fully zipped.

I do sometimes get a chuckle from unsolicited emails that arrive looking so serious. That DHL "delivery notification" seems to be popular recently.

And I loved the email I got this morning from a friend I was chatting with at the coffee shop yesterday:

Apologies for having to reach out to you like this,I made a trip this past weekend to London, UK and had my bag stolen from me with my passport and credit cards in it. The embassy is willing to help by letting me fly without my passport, I just have to pay for a ticket and settle Hotel bills. Unfortunately for me, I can't have access to funds without my credit card, I've made contact with my bank but they need more time to come up with a new one. I was thinking of asking you to lend me some quick funds that I can give back as soon as I get in. I really need to be on the next available flight.

I can forward you details on how you can get the funds to me. You can reach me via email or May field hotel's desk phone, the numbers are, +447024029894 or +447024030611.

i await your response...

Apart from being a cynic about junk mail, I don't worry much about viruses, because I am on an Apple computer and exec files don't work on the Mac operating system. Often I can check out those phoney files and alert the sender if they're a friend so they know they've been hijacked.

Nothingtodo

Joined Aug 9, 2010
Messages 357
There is also a dangerous one where sometimes you click a picture and directs you to the Internet explorer (fake). Flashing in red that there are Trojans and viruses that need to be cleaned and to follow that link. It looks very real but avoid it.

tboy

Joined Jun 2, 2010
Messages 9,197
Nothingtodo said:
There is also a dangerous one where sometimes you click a picture and directs you to the Internet explorer (fake). Flashing in red that there are Trojans and viruses that need to be cleaned and to follow that link. It looks very real but avoid it.

and they actually add trojans and virus' to your computer...I had just loaded a clean copy of windows XP and fired up the puter and logged onto the net to get the most recent updates and got hit with a site that offerred a free virus scan. Needless to say I had to reformat my hard drive and re-reinstall windows.

This was years ago but I think there are sites that "poll" new computers signing on to see if they have a firewall or virus protection and if not, they flash to that site.....

I don't see the point actually. To damage someone's computer who could be a million miles away with absolutely NO gain to yourself. To me, it's like being able to throw nails on a side road in BF iowa. Ok, so I gave a guy a flat tire, do I whack off now or later?

(btw, the guy who wrote the "I love you" virus is serving multiple life sentences in a chinese prison......)

tboy

Joined Jun 2, 2010
Messages 9,197
I have to assume it's like all the others who write virus' etc: because they can. To say "look what I can do"......

I can sort of understand hackers, they're like safecrackers etc, there's a "goal" at the end. But to simply write a virus to do harm with no gain whatsoever? To me, that's like killing someone for fun, or gay bashing.........

W

Wanker

Hackers can read your credit cards through clothes and wallets

Hackers can read your credit cards through clothes and wallets

Pickpockets no longer need to touch their victims — they can use cheap technology to read credit cards through peoples’ pants.
Hacker Kristin Paget proved as much with a demonstration at the Shmoocon hacker conference in Washington last week.
With a $50 Vivotech RFID (radio frequency identification) credit card reader, she wirelessly read a volunteer’s credit card standing near her on a stage before using a $300 magnetizing tool to put the data onto a blank card, reports Forbes’ Andy Greenberg.
Paget then used a credit card-swiping iPhone attachment and voila! She stole $15 bucks from her “victim” before paying him back immediately, Greenberg wrote.

Fears that hackers will steal personal or banking information have also sparked an industry of wallets, passport covers and individual credit card holders made of stainless steel or even aluminum foil to block unwanted radio signals from lifting information.
While Paget’s demonstration has been possible for years, questions about contactless payments are rising to the surface as RFID-enabled credit cards become ubiquitous (just look for a triangle made of arches to see if your credit card is RFID equipped).

In Canada, Visa’s payWave and MasterCard’s PayPass make it easy for consumers to tap their RFID-enabled cards on a terminal and pay quickly at thousands of merchants across the country, including Impark and McDonald’s.
The terminals may not accept transactions of more than $50.

MasterCard uses encryption technology and Visa embeds chips to prevent theft over the contactless systems, according to their websites. Both say the cards must be waved very near to the machines to work, and Visa adds that “only secure readers at authorized merchants” can process its cards.

But with the right machine, stealing credit card numbers, expiry dates and transaction codes is as simple as waiting for people to walk by on a crowded street, said project scientist and hacker 3ric (pronounced Eric) Johanson.
Consumers shouldn’t be too worried — at least not yet, Johanson said. Criminals will choose the easiest method to steal credit card information, which at the moment is hacking insecure websites “from the comfort of their own home,” he said.

If data was stolen, it would be difficult to use online as most websites require an address for confirmation, he said. Each contactless transaction involves a unique CCV code, but an “ample” number of those can be collected in just a few seconds, he explained. Scams would only be detected if the consumer used their card before the attacker had time to make fraudulent purchases.

Despite the logistical challenges, it’s just a matter of time before RFID hacks become commonplace, Johanson said.
There are additional steps credit card companies can take to protect consumers, such as demanding a pin number, yet that’s unlikely to happen because it would slow down the payment process, he said.

“My general advice to people is to demand that their credit card companies offer them a non RFID-enabled card,” he added.
By the end of 2012, all Canadian passports will come equipped with RFID technology, according to .

The RFID information will only become accessible if bar code on the second page has already been scanned, meaning the passport needs to be open for people to get data. New American passports already have this technology.

https://www.thestar.com/business/ar...card-information-through-clothes-wallets?bn=1

CrazyCanuck

Joined Mar 14, 2012
Messages 49
Even lawyers get screwed.

Even lawyers get screwed.

They may seem an unlikely group to be caught in a con, but lawyers from across North America have been bilked out of millions of dollars by sophisticated email scams, one of which investigators say was partly co-ordinated in the Greater Toronto region.

The email “collection” scam, which first surfaced around 2007, usually begins with an email from a potential “client” living abroad who asks for help collecting money from a divorce settlement, a real estate deal or other type of legal settlement.A fraudster posing as the debtor agrees to pay the debt and sends the lawyer a counterfeit settlement cheque, which yet another fraudster (posing as a bank employee) verifies as authentic via telephone.

The lawyer then cashes the cheque, takes a cut in fees for the services and wires the remaining funds to the client’s overseas account. By the time they realize the cheque is fake, the money is gone.
Court records show that con artists have been able to collect hundreds of thousands of dollars each time a lawyer is duped, and these types of scams have reportedly pilfered an estimated $70 million from law firms across the continent.Next month, an alleged fraudster involved in one such scam — one that authorities believe accounts for about half the total $70 million in losses —will face a criminal trial in Pennsylvania.

And Christy Fawcett, an assistant U.S. attorney assigned to the case, said more indictments are on the way for suspected co-conspirators, including those in the Greater Toronto Area.
Emmanuel Ekhator, a 41-year-old Nigerian national, was arrested in Nigeria and extradited to the United States to face several scam-related charges last summer.

The charges followed a years-long, cross-border investigation dubbed “Operation Pacific Wire” involving the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Toronto police financial crimes unit and other agencies.
Toronto police became involved in the operation in 2010, Det.-Sgt. Danny Bell confirmed.U.S. prosecutors say Ekhator was living in the GTA during the time he helped co-ordinate the fraud ring that saw least 80 lawyers and law firms across North America swindled out of about $32 million.

The ring also tried to scam another $100 million from 300 additional victims, prosecutors say.
Gene Goldenziel, a Pennsylvania-based personal injury lawyer who prosecutors allege was one of those targeted by Ekhator’s scam ring, said he first received an email from a potential client in 2010 requesting help to collect disability insurance.The person claimed to be a woman injured while working at a Pennsylvania trucking company, he said.

She said she was unable to meet in person because she had to move back to South Korea after the injury, but provided contact information and documentation that seemed to verify her injury and insurance policy with the company.
A cashier’s cheque for $400,000 soon arrived at the firm and “it seemed perfectly legitimate,” but Goldenziel said he “just felt peculiar” about the case and refused to deposit the cheque.

He was then contacted by a U.S. postal inspector who said he had been the target of an Internet scam.
Ekhator, according to court documents, played a key role in the lucrative email scam targeting dozens of lawyers, relaying information between the “client” and the “debtor” and co-ordinating scam logistics with a global network of con artists in Canada, the U.S., the U.K., Nigeria, South Korea, Japan, China, Singapore and elsewhere.

“It was a pretty significant arrest,” said Fawcett.An Ontario woman, Yvette Mathurin, was indicted alongside Ekhator in 2010 and 2011. Court documents allege she pretended to be a bank employee to validate counterfeit cheques.Fawcett said Mathurin had not been extradited to the United States, but refused to elaborate on the reason.

Mathurin could not be reached immediately.
Despite the crackdown on Ekhator’s alleged ring and repeated warnings from authorities and bar associations, lawyers’ scam-related complaints continue to filter in to both the Internet Crime Complaint Center, a U.S. agency partly run by the FBI, and the RCMP’s Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.FBI spokeswoman Jennifer Shearer said the U.S.-based complaint centre received 167 complaints from lawyers between 2011 and 2012, up from just 10 complaints in 2007.

Why does it keep happening?Fawcett described the scam as both sophisticated and elaborate in its execution, one that mimics genuine interactions between clients and their lawyers, and involves a web of players worldwide working together to pull off each scam.Many “clients” use actual company and property names in their emails, provide what appear to be authentic supporting documents and even include active phone numbers and contact information that lead back to other scammers involved who verify false information, according to court documents.“The stories are usually quite plausible.

It’s very top-quality counterfeiting . . . and it’s here, there, everywhere,” said Daniel Williams, a senior call centre manager at the RCMP’s Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.
Williams also said the short period between when a lawyer wires the money to an overseas account and when they realize the cheque is a fake is usually enough time for the fraudsters to disappear with the money.

The anti-fraud centre receives “an awful lot of calls” from lawyers like Goldenziel who managed to avoid being scammed, said Williams, but added that the number of scammed lawyers is likely under-reported due to embarrassment or other reasons.Other firms named in court documents as victims of Ekhator’s alleged scam ring did not respond to requests for comment.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cr...-partly-run-out-of-greater-toronto-police-say

About this Discussion

93 Replies
17K Views

HUBGFE Community

HUBGFE is an all purpose Canadian adult community offering advertisers, reviews, and lots of adult fun. The site includes Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing
Top Bottom