Made with Love
Venus Toronto

Too Large to Fly

• Welcome to the new CAERF.
    New management and more commited than ever! Have a look at some of the new features HERE.
    If you experience any issue please let us know in the proper forum.

Knight Rider

Joined Nov 14, 2009
Messages 1,471
Interesting article...

OAKLAND
He wasn't even supposed to be there that day.

Filmmaker Kevin Smith, fresh from delivering a speech at the Macworld Expo in San Francisco, unleashed his fury on Southwest Airlines after the pilot on Smith's flight from Oakland to Burbank ejected him for being "too fat to fly" Saturday evening.

"I'm way fat, but I'm not there just yet," Smith wrote on his Twitter.com account after the incident, adding that he was able to lower both arm rests at his seat. "I broke no regulation."

Southwest Airlines measures whether a customers too large to fly based on the passenger's ability to lower both armrests while sitting on the plane. If the passenger cannot lower one or both armrests, the carrier typically requires the passenger to purchase an additional seat or make arrangements on other flights that may accommodate for extra space.

"Wanna tell me I'm too wide for the sky?" Smith inquired on his Twitter account. "Totally cool, but fair warning folks: If you look like me, you may be ejected from Southwest Air."

The director of Clerks and Chasing Amy, who is also known for playing a character named "Silent Bob" in several films, added that Southwest Airlines did offer him a $100 voucher for his troubles. Additionally, Smith wrote that a female passenger seated next to him was also "chastized for not buying an additional seat."

A spokesperson for Southwest Airlines wrote an apology on the company's Twitter account following the Twitter-lashing unleashed by Smith Saturday evening.

Smith is expected to further address the Southwest Airlines issue on his podcast Sunday evening. The director eventually landed in Burbank on another flight.

Knight Rider

Joined Nov 14, 2009
Messages 1,471
For someone this size, do you think he should be forced to buy an extra seat or should the airline should cover the cost of it?

Smooth

Joined Jan 31, 2010
Messages 707
I would hate to be the individual in the next seat. Air-flights can be long, everyone around him also has the right to be comfortable.

I

iceman_dci

The size of that fellow in the pic is definitely grounds for making him purchase an extra seat. It's not a matter of prejudice, its a matter of safety and comfort for not only himself but others.

In the case of Kevin Smith, he's a stout little fella, but I would think he's on the edge. I'm a fairly large guy, not quite built like Kevin but I take up a lot of room LOL but have never been asked to purchase a second seat, if I were to be asked, I'd just bump my ticket to business class anyway.

JackassJack

Joined Feb 13, 2010
Messages 558
They should have moved everyone to the other side of the plane, so plane can be balanced.

S

Senor Gomes

Southwest Airlines should have asked him to pay double and park him in 2 seats, refusal is bad for business.

Hugh

Joined Feb 13, 2010
Messages 100
Knight Rider said:
For someone this size, do you think he should be forced to buy an extra seat or should the airline should cover the cost of it?

imagine an eight hour flight seating whith the dude?.

Top Bottom