Made with Love

This just makes me sick to my stomach.

L

lagavulin

Reminds me of George Orwell's book "1984" where entire government departments were set-up to re-write history books and newspaper articles to fit the current political situation.

I wonder what they will say about Winnie not getting up until late in the day and having a morning bath while drinking scotch.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The Prime Minister has nothing to hide from the President of the United States."
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Winston Churchill
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] On stepping from his bath in presence of startled President Roosevelt

L

lagavulin

6Eclq.jpg

For some of the younger crowd let me give some context to this.

There was no single person more instrumental to the defeat of Hitler and the Nazis then Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

The Second World War started in September 1939;
Churchill was elected Prime Minister in 1940 and held office until 1945 (later re-elected in the 50’s).

For several years, England and the Commonwealth were on their own fighting the Nazis since the United States did not enter the war until 1941.

Churchill’s powers of oratory were unparalleled and he was an intellectual giant (he won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1953). I am hard-pressed to think of a politician in the last 30 years that could remotely come close to him as a genuine leader.

A great part of what he did in the early years of the war was to maintain the moral of the British populace that was being subjected to direct attack from the German forces by aircraft bombings and rocket attacks.

One of the ways that he did this was through his speeches and the image that he conveyed. An excerpt from a famous speech in parliament in June 1940

“…Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, …”

His image giving a “V” for victory salute and puffing on a cigar was iconic and instrumental in changing the world. To deny any truth of that time is a disservice to the generations that follow.

Pkepq.jpg

About this Discussion

10 Replies
3K Views

HUBGFE Community

HUBGFE is an all purpose Canadian adult community offering advertisers, reviews, and lots of adult fun. The site includes Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing
Top Bottom