Made with Love

This is interesting: how NOT to act at the US border....

tboy

Joined Jun 2, 2010
Messages 9,197
Well, how is this so different than pulling someone out of the boarding line at the airport and searching them? Not one. People accept that (well, most do) yet at the boarder, nothing is different.

The thing is, the "canadians" treated the border crossing like it is some sort of joke and weren't prepared.

It isn't about power tripping, the border agent's duty is to check people out and if ANYTHING seems the least bit suspect, he has every right to pull someone aside for an interview or secondary inspection.

Something most people don't realize (even US citizens returning) is that crossing the border is NOT a right, it's a priviledge.

Now even when the secondary inspector was calmly talking to them, the canadian kept backtalking. Continuously. Then he went and contradicted himself by bragging that he works with law enforcement then when the secondary inspector says something, he then says "how should I know".

I mean really, for a moment there HE was the calm one and told his wife numerous times to sit down. I can imagine though, she was all aghast at the audacity of the guards telling HER to sit down.

One thing that surprised me was when the interviewer stated that they catch 3 terrorists a day in the niagara region. I wonder if that is true. He does have a point though that they don't publicize every arrest......

One other thing: the shooting comment. I mean, how STUPID do you have to be? that's like saying the bomb word at the airport. Say that and see how fast you are face down on the ground with 20 guns pointed at your head........

S

Senor Gomes

tboy said:
Well, how is this so different than pulling someone out of the boarding line at the airport and searching them? Not one. People accept that (well, most do) yet at the boarder, nothing is different.

The thing is, the "canadians" treated the border crossing like it is some sort of joke and weren't prepared.

It isn't about power tripping, the border agent's duty is to check people out and if ANYTHING seems the least bit suspect, he has every right to pull someone aside for an interview or secondary inspection.

Something most people don't realize (even US citizens returning) is that crossing the border is NOT a right, it's a priviledge.

Now even when the secondary inspector was calmly talking to them, the canadian kept backtalking. Continuously. Then he went and contradicted himself by bragging that he works with law enforcement then when the secondary inspector says something, he then says "how should I know".

I mean really, for a moment there HE was the calm one and told his wife numerous times to sit down. I can imagine though, she was all aghast at the audacity of the guards telling HER to sit down.

One thing that surprised me was when the interviewer stated that they catch 3 terrorists a day in the niagara region. I wonder if that is true. He does have a point though that they don't publicize every arrest......

One other thing: the shooting comment. I mean, how STUPID do you have to be? that's like saying the bomb word at the airport. Say that and see how fast you are face down on the ground with 20 guns pointed at your head........

I had the same thoughts tboy both the Canadian and the first inspector need to chill and look at the others' point of view.

tboy

Joined Jun 2, 2010
Messages 9,197
Senor Gomes said:
I had the same thoughts tboy both the Canadian and the first inspector need to chill and look at the others' point of view.

You're right, but the thing is, the one in position of authority, has the right and the duty to question everyone and anyone he sees fit. The canadian MUST comply totally with the orders without any attitude. Unfortunately that is the cost of the priviledge of entering easily into another country.

The errors:

The Canadian: for being irate or aghast that HE dares be questioned. Right from the start his non-chalant attitude would have pissed me off too.

Frankly, when I'm crossing the border? (and I did it hundreds of times) I know exactly where I'm going, I know exactly what I'm doing and I know exactly where I'm staying. Any vagaries raise the red flag for the guards. Hence why secondary inspections occur.

If I'm not mistaken, any visitor MUST provide an address where they are staying while in the US and not being able to provide an address is grounds for refusal of entry.

The Guard: he probably could have been more pleasant and explained to the canadian that due to his vagaries of his answers he was being pulled aside for secondary inspection.

I tell you, lesson for all? Don't cop any attitude while crossing the border.

K

KathrynBardot

tboy said:
How many people do you know who cross the border wearing a microphone? Clearly, he knew what he was doing and what kind of reaction he'd get.

j

BANNED
Joined Apr 4, 2010
Messages 258
tboy said:
You're right, but the thing is, the one in position of authority, has the right and the duty to question everyone and anyone he sees fit. The canadian MUST comply totally with the orders without any attitude. Unfortunately that is the cost of the priviledge of entering easily into another country.

The errors:

The Canadian: for being irate or aghast that HE dares be questioned. Right from the start his non-chalant attitude would have pissed me off too.

Frankly, when I'm crossing the border? (and I did it hundreds of times) I know exactly where I'm going, I know exactly what I'm doing and I know exactly where I'm staying. Any vagaries raise the red flag for the guards. Hence why secondary inspections occur.

If I'm not mistaken, any visitor MUST provide an address where they are staying while in the US and not being able to provide an address is grounds for refusal of entry.

The Guard: he probably could have been more pleasant and explained to the canadian that due to his vagaries of his answers he was being pulled aside for secondary inspection.

I tell you, lesson for all? Don't cop any attitude while crossing the border.

I agree.

I also cross the border, and check in both directions. Nothing surprises me more than someone at the commercial crossing area complaining about how long things are taking and that they are in a hurry. Oh, well. Sit down and zip it, is my opinion. Attitude puts you at the back of the line lol.

In this case (I can't connect to the link), but gather what happened from your posts here, the one crossing the border is supposed to know where they are going and why, and may need to verify for how long. They have the right to detain you, and the right to refuse you entry. If you act up, see how far it gets you. They don'T have to let you in. I think the fact these guards were doing a more indepth interview indicates they were willing to allow access, but at the first problem they should have found a reason to deny.

They aren't just looking for terrorists, but also anyone looking to start working illegally, and not return to Canada. They are looking for foreign passport holders using Canada as a point of entry. They are looking for traffickers of anything from drugs to cigarettes and apples and oranges lol.

About this Discussion

8 Replies
2K Views

HUBGFE Community

HUBGFE is an all purpose Canadian adult community offering advertisers, reviews, and lots of adult fun. The site includes Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing
Top Bottom