Made with Love
Venus Toronto
Pure Pleasure Spa

The Importance of Self Promises

• Welcome to the new CAERF.
    New management and more commited than ever! Have a look at some of the new features HERE.
    If you experience any issue please let us know in the proper forum.

The Importance of Self Promises

• Extremely important, I never break them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rather important, but I will break them if I must

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Important, and I try to keep them

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Kinda important, but I am hit or miss on keeping them

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • They're about as good as the air they're written on

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I don't bother making them, so...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Blank_Dave

Reviewer
Joined Jan 6, 2010
Messages 1,781
Now for those that recall me from ****, you'll remember I'm a great one for interesting/dumb threads. For those that don't, you're in for an immediate demonstration.

The question is:

How important is it to you to keep promises that you have made to yourself?

The reason I ask is that I nearly broke one quite casually yesterday.

The promise is: I will not hobby until I bring my weight down to under 180lbs. (I hope to start a thread on that in the near future). Currently, I am at 185lbs.

Yesterday, I was in the mood, and if a certain 6' blonde lady had of been working for a certain agency, I would have readily motored in to Toronto.

This kind of bothered me. How ready I was to throw this promise out the window on a whim, after maintaining it for nearly five monthes!

To me this should be a very important promise, and I was ready to throw it away.

Chef

Joined Jun 6, 2010
Messages 428
Dave if I make that promise to myself I would never see a SP. :frown:

Haveanitch

Joined Feb 13, 2010
Messages 85
It all depends of the promises Dave, surely an exception should be had for a 6' blonde. Promises about smoking and drinking is a seperate manner that should never be broken.

Brocklee

Reviewer
Joined Feb 1, 2010
Messages 298
Good topic Dave procrastination has to be involved in the equation. Have friends that promised themselves they would write great thesis but were too busy with parties and sports and brushed it aside till the last minute. Btw how long of a period of time you gave yourself to lose the 5 lb?.

Hardon1

Joined Jun 6, 2010
Messages 113
One should take time to consider if keeping a promise in question is feasible. Being realistic and not going too much above and beyond what you are capable of will help you keep your promise.

Hope that helps.

GenevieveLajoie

Joined Nov 11, 2009
Messages 297
I believe it is important to strive to keep those promises you made to yourself, but as important is to cut yourself some slack, and realize that change (whether external to you or internal) is part of life.

Another way to look at it is to ask yourself whether in similar circumstances, you would fault someone else for not following through with their promise, or if you would cut them some slack. If you would excuse it of others, than you should give yourself at least as much credit as you would to others.

Me again

Joined May 21, 2010
Messages 398
Dave

Losers make promises they often break. Winners make commitments they always keep. ~Denis Waitley

Blank_Dave

Reviewer
Joined Jan 6, 2010
Messages 1,781
Brocklee said:
Good topic Dave procrastination has to be involved in the equation.

Well around early April, Traveller pointed out a book called Body For Life. It sounded interesting, so I grabbed it. The author likes what he calls the 12 Week Challenge. Basically, you set yourself some goals, then follow his program to reach those goals in 12 weeks. My goal was to drop 30lbs of weight/fat in that time. I've dropped 25lbs of weight, but I've been hung up on that last 5 for nearly a month now. (Yeah, I was shedding weight like mad)

Btw how long of a period of time you gave yourself to lose the 5 lb?.

I have a few weeks left in my 12 week challenge...

GenevieveLajoie said:
I believe it is important to strive to keep those promises you made to yourself, but as important is to cut yourself some slack, and realize that change (whether external to you or internal) is part of life.

It's more I'm getting frustrated with it, than getting on my own case about it.

Another way to look at it is to ask yourself whether in similar circumstances, you would fault someone else for not following through with their promise, or if you would cut them some slack. If you would excuse it of others, than you should give yourself at least as much credit as you would to others.

That's the problem with me. On a cognitive level, I can accept what I've done thus far, and over look the short fall....But then deep down, I expect more of myself and can't accept the short fall.

Auggie

Joined May 24, 2010
Messages 2,207
If you slip once don't beat yourself up too much. This is a life long plan, keep your eyes on the horizon.
I'm impressed you've done so well in such a short time.

B

Beenthere123

I read your other thread Dave, so all I can say is PARTY TIME on the 17th and show the babes how good you look.

Kirk Lazarus

Reviewer
Joined Dec 1, 2009
Messages 3,861
Beenthere123 said:
I read your other thread Dave, so all I can say is PARTY TIME on the 17th and show the babes how good you look.

My man BT speaks the truth, come out to the party and show everyone how physically fit you have become! I haven't met you Dave, but your story is an inspiration for me to get off my ass and get back into shape myself!

Top Bottom