Made with Love

The Economist ranks Toronto as the best place in the world to live

Beef Jerky

Joined Feb 25, 2012
Messages 1,405
Torontonians can walk with a little more bounce in their step today – London-based magazine, The Economist, has ranked Toronto as the best place in the world to live.
In terms of security, Toronto was ranked as the safest city in North America, while it placed eighth overall in the world. Tokyo was listed as the safest city in the world.

The ranking comes in a new report, “Assessing urban security in the digital age,” released by the Economist intelligence Unit. It ranks cities in terms of overall security and then compares the security ranking to other indexes, such as livability, cost of living, business environment, democracy and global food security.

“Toronto (8) in Canada is a consistent performer across the five other indexes, putting it top overall,” the report said.

Canada took the two top spots on the list, with Montreal placing second. Stockholm, Amsterdam and San Francisco rounded out the top five.
Tory 'proud' but says there's still work to be done

Responding to the ranking in an interview with CP24 Friday, Mayor John Tory said he’s thrilled with the result.

“I’m a Torontonian and like all Torontonians watching out there I’m very proud,” Tory said. “I’m proud to be the mayor of the city that is ranked number one. I think we know we have a very special place here and it’s about how we treat people as much as anything else.”

However the mayor acknowledged the city nonetheless has room to improve and said the ranking means the city has to work even harder to maintain its top spot, particularly when it comes to the cost of living.

While Toronto placed within the top ten in most of the indicators, it placed 70th in cost of living.
“Everything is expensive in most big cities,” Tory said. “In this case we find that we’re pretty well up when it comes to the expense list. I think again that’s why you have to keep working at these things.”

In particular he said the city needs to work hard to make sure that there is a better supply of housing for low and middle income individuals.

“The bottom line is this; There are going to be people house keepers in hotels, there are going to be servers in restaurants who are moderate income people, lower income people in terms of the income scale, who need to live downtown,” Tory said. “They can’t afford to live in PeHUBGFEorough and commute here and we have to have housing for them. And right now the supply is really, really small.”

Tory said he plans to sit down with developers “in the next little while” to find out what might entice them to build more middle income housing.

Though the city still has room to improve, Tory said at the end of the day it’s Torontonians who d eserve the praise for the ranking.
“It’s the people who deserve the credit – because they make it a great place to live and they treat others (well),” Tory said. “And that’s what’s really number one about Toronto – how we treat each other.”

Among its findings, the report notes that technology is becoming the new “frontline of urban safety” that may divide populations across class lines.

“Data are being used to tackle crime, monitor infrastructure and limit the spread of disease,” the report said. “As some cities pursue smarter methods of preventing—rather than simply reacting to—these diverse security threats, a lack of data in emerging markets could exacerbate the urban safety divide between rich and poor.”

However it notes that traditional methods of boosting safety, such as increasing police visibility, continue to be effective around the globe.

Top 10 cities overall

1. Toronto
  2. Montreal
  3. Stockholm
  4. Amsterdam
  5. San Francisco
  6. Melbourne
  7. Zurich
  8. Washington D.C.
  9. Sydney
  10. Chicago

https://www.cp24.com/news/the-econo...the-best-place-in-the-world-to-live-1.2213400

Toronto is most livable city: Metropolis Magazine

https://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/12/toronto-is-most-livable-city-metropolis-magazine

U

User-E

11800001_1611858525746833_4702892581936518496_n.jpg

NEAR KELOWNA – Last November, Pierre Cloutier left his home in Quebec to move to British Columbia in search of a new life, travelling by horse and covered wagon.

About 4000 kilometres later, he was on Highway 33 Thursday approaching Kelowna.

“I had dream as kid to be a cowboy and travel. I was at a dead end in Quebec. I wanted to realize my dream and here I am. I just did it,” says Cloutier.

A team of four Belgian draught horses is pulling the two covered wagons Cloutier built himself.

He says he doesn’t push the horses hard, travelling about five hours a day, and at least every fourth day is a rest day.

“Last week, I spent a whole week off because I figured they were tired a bit. They’re my kids. I don’t want them just for the trip. I’ll keep them for show after.”

Cloutier is amazed at the support he’s received along the way from complete strangers who provide food for him and the horses and a place to put up for the night.

“Before B.C., I slept five nights in the wagon. A lot of the time on the prairies, they put two kids in the same room to give me a free room. I’ve been treated like a king everywhere.”

Cloutier plans to put down roots in B.C. but doesn’t know when or where.

“I’ll stop when I get a feeling, where life takes me. I’m doing what they did 200 years ago, moving east to west, finding a new life.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/2164974/from-quebec-to-the-okanagan-in-horse-drawn-wagons/

C

cristycurves

I wonder how women in my lifestyle think about living and working in TO, good or bad?
@Escapefromstress-loved that post-wish I had the courage to "pack up and go" to just leave, I think that takes such courage and bravery:)Hopefully he and his will find their ideal home.

About this Discussion

14 Replies
2K Views

HUBGFE Community

HUBGFE is an all purpose Canadian adult community offering advertisers, reviews, and lots of adult fun. The site includes Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing
Top Bottom