Made with Love

Rob Ford applauds Jarvis bike lane removal

Stubby

Joined Jan 20, 2011
Messages 566
Wasn't that a lot of waste of money. Who approved it the first time anyway?.

https://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/12/rob-ford-applauds-jarvis-bike-lane-removal

TORONTO - Mayor Rob Ford applauded the removal of the Jarvis St. bike lanes Monday.

Council — including Ford — voted last year to remove the bike lanes and install separated bike lanes on nearby Sherbourne St.
Ford said Monday that pulling the bike lanes out was what people want.

“Unfortunately, I wasn’t the one who voted to put them in in the first place,” Ford said.
During the 2010 election campaign, Ford said he heard from people who use that road.

“They want to get home to their families quicker and that’s what I’ve done, I’ve listened to the taxpayers and done what they wanted me to do,” he said.
Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam — whose ward includes Jarvis — is calling for a speed limit reduction on the street now that the reversible, fifth car lane is returning.
“There is no need for people to be ripping through Jarvis,” Wong-Tam told the Sun.

“I know for a fact people go through there at 60 km/h to 70 km/h. That’s not going to work for this community anymore.
“We’ll be ready for another fight.”

Wong-Tam stressed removing the bike lanes won’t take the cyclists off Jarvis.
“The cyclists will still be there. Now they’re riding in harm’s way.”

She said Toronto is likely the only North American city removing bike lanes from the urban core.
As for the return of the fifth lane on Jarvis, Wong-Tam said it’s not “good urban planning.”

“I don’t believe it is actually warranted,” she said.
“That fifth lane is going to once again create confusion.”

Shiek

Joined Nov 10, 2009
Messages 1,171
Peace, up to a point its ok to have bike lanes. When you put bike lanes in that are rarely used or in an area where there is excessive traffic, it doesnt make sense. Like Conlins road in Scarborough. I've never seen a bike on it yet Miller ordered bike lanes put there.

Admiral

Joined Jul 7, 2012
Messages 1,855
Knight Rider said:
That bike lane on Jarvis was completely empty most of the time and was severely underutilized. So I don't object to it being removed.

Sherbourne already had one so it defeated it's purpose of having 2 so close to each other going South- North. Now if they can figure out how to stop these cyclist from hugging Queen Street they I will pay more taxes.

peace

Reviewer
Joined Dec 23, 2010
Messages 29,067
Knight Rider said:
That bike lane on Jarvis was completely empty most of the time and was severely underutilized. So I don't object to it being removed.

Are you kidding me?? Lots of bikers use it as I am one of them. Secondly, if you remove it, it's still a one lane. Still a dumb lame decision.

peace

Reviewer
Joined Dec 23, 2010
Messages 29,067
Sheik said:
Peace, up to a point its ok to have bike lanes. When you put bike lanes in that are rarely used or in an area where there is excessive traffic, it doesnt make sense. Like Conlins road in Scarborough. I've never seen a bike on it yet Miller ordered bike lanes put there.

I understand but think about it. The bike lane will just take up a rather small part of the road which you wont lose any lane (for many roads). There are some roads that are completely empty and hardly any cars go by there. Should they get rid of those roads too?

peace

Reviewer
Joined Dec 23, 2010
Messages 29,067
Admiral said:
Sherbourne already had one so it defeated it's purpose of having 2 so close to each other going South- North. Now if they can figure out how to stop these cyclist from hugging Queen Street they I will pay more taxes.

I saw the bike lane there and I have to admit it was way tooo wide. I mean...let's keep the lanes available to the cars but dont foget to include a small bike lane as well. Yet they made a bike lane that was wayyyy toooooo big which sherbourne loses a lane. That just gives bikers and drivers more reasons to hate each other!

Madman

Reviewer
Joined Aug 12, 2011
Messages 17,534
RAWD said:
What more jobs? It's the same City, unionized crews doing the work at premium rates (compared to the private sector).

I agree the bike lanes were too much. A small path is fine but not taking away an entire lane.

Rawd, so it's fair to underpay for work so another individual can line his pockets?Hmmmmmm

I know of builders paying labours $13 an hour and warning them to not talk to union people. They do not want to pay them 23 an hour as is the norm. They also tell them if they get hurt to not admit it was on the work place. Is this fair? This is the private sector at work. Cheap unsafe labour is the norm on private construction sites.

Maybe T can correct me if I'm wrong.

One more thing, where is it proven the private sector does it better and cheaper?

Is it not idea/mantra of the private sector and market place to charge the customer what the market will bare at the cheapest possible cost at the expense of the worker?Hmmmmmm

Shiek

Joined Nov 10, 2009
Messages 1,171
The idea/mantra of the private sector is to make a profit. Without it there is no private sector. The public will only pay so much to the private sector unless its a product they are prepared to pay anything for.

Unskilled labour starts at minimum wage and goes up from there as experience grows. Private industry rewards the hardest working individuals whereas the unions make sure everyone makes the same no matter how hard or little they work. Aint fair to these hard working individuals IMHO.

Private sector is in business to make money, if they do it right and quickly it puts more money in their pockets. If they dont do it right, they have to go back and do it again and that gets expensive.

Private sector looks after all the garbage pick up in Peel, York and Durham and does it well and for less than it costs the city to hire their own crews, buy their own trucks etc. Etobicoke's garbage pickup is private and efficient. Now the west half of the city has been privatized. Yes there have been some problems in the beginning with union slow downs at the transfer stations and whining by the left leaning councillors. But now, its efficient and doing it cheaper than unionized city employees. Cest la vie

Top Bottom