Made with Love

Microsoft buys LinkedIn - LinkedIn will now lose market share and suck ass

Joined Sep 10, 2015
Messages 1,478
They lost $4 per share this morning. Who is running their enterprise now, Trump?.

Is that suppose to be a serious question? You think Obama or Hillary could run an organization.

You, as a Lefty, believe in central planners - even though they fail time and again. When China moved away from centralized planning, they became wealthy. When Russia moved away from centralized planning, their wealth increases. Indonesia the same.

Tell me Lefty, can I come to your house and confiscate your paycheck? I am sure you wouldn't mind, would you?

L

Lefty

Is that suppose to be a serious question? You think Obama or Hillary could run an organization.

You, as a Lefty, believe in central planners - even though they fail time and again. When China moved away from centralized planning, they became wealthy. When Russia moved away from centralized planning, their wealth increases. Indonesia the same.

Tell me Lefty, can I come to your house and confiscate your paycheck? I am sure you wouldn't mind, would you?

Take it easy man, can't tell a joke when it slaps you in the face. It was a Trump humor. BTW I won't debate on your world analysis but there are a lot of flaws on your political way of thinking.

Will leave it as that.

Johnnybehorny

Joined Apr 30, 2010
Messages 356

I tend to be less cynical on this issue. Since the collapse of the soviet union third world ideological / political support is still nice, but not considered as vital to combating an existential threat to ourselves. I tend to think that we genuinely seek to help countries develop and have been in a rather sincere form since the 90s (and even before then in some cases though the political issues were more pressing).

I'm not a big fan of popular theories about a new world order dedicated to keeping developing countries in their place so that we can exploit them. It doesn't really track with me at this point and time and I think international political thought has significantly evolved since that was the status quo (like in the colonial era).

Much in the same way I am not as cynical about western state intentions in development and state building activities, I am far less cynical about religion as well.

Religion was a very important part of European and western modern state creation; particularly in the area of rule of law (constraining rulers with laws higher than themselves), and the creation of common identities that cut across traditional social groupings allowing for wider nets of societal trust to be constructed.

Joined Sep 10, 2015
Messages 1,478
Google will continue to grow and dominate. It will pass Apple and be the number one tech company for the next 30 years. They are in the business of data collection and analytics and with the government backing their business activity, they can't be overtaken.

Of course, Facebook is now run by the U.S. government too, so maybe Facebook and Google will 'merge', cough; cough; cough.

Ozzie

Joined Oct 14, 2010
Messages 449
I was one of LinkedIn’s first members, joining on June 27, 2003, when it was still in beta. Over the years, it has gotten me a lot of work and helped me write countless stories. But now that Microsoft is buying the company, I’m really wondering whether I should leave.

Microsoft is spending $26.2 billion, or about $59 per user, for LinkedIn. Even at that price, I think this is a smart move for Microsoft. LinkedIn, with only 443 million users, is no Facebook, but it’s been growing at about 20% annually for years.

It’s also the de facto business social network. When you want to recruit new employees, find new clients or just interact with people about business, it’s the social network of choice. I have never seen a funny cat video on it.

And the news was great for LinkedIn. Within hours of the deal being announced, LinkedIn’s stock leaped by 61%. That’s remarkable for any company. For one that has been weak for years, it’s phenomenal.

One question, though, is whether that 20% growth can be maintained under the new ownership. If significant numbers of people share my negative reaction to this news and also consider opting out of LinkedIn, growth could stall.

True, some of my reasons for not rejoicing about the Microsoft takeover won’t resonate with everyone. I’ll talk about those first. But then there’s one very big consideration that I think could give a lot of people pause.

First, let’s remember that , four years ago, and that hasn’t exactly taken off.

One thing Microsoft did with Yammer was to integrate it with a lot of other Microsoft technologies: Office 365, Skype, Outlook, Dynamics CRM and Cortana. I think we can expect similar things to happen with LinkedIn.

This doesn’t excite me because I am not a big user of Microsoft’s technology, and its integration efforts never seem to work well on Linux. Skype, for example, doesn’t so much run as limp on Linux, and Skype for Business doesn’t run on it at all.

But Microsoft probably doesn’t care too much about me and other Linux users. No, what it is interested in, it said, is connecting the “world’s leading professional cloud” to “the professional network.” It’s plausible that Microsoft sees LinkedIn as a conduit for it to get into HR software. And, if I were Salesforce, I’d be more than a little worried about Microsoft making a big move on customer relationship management

To which I say: “Go for it.” I have no problem with Microsoft finding new ways to compete.
Ah, but I do have a problem with something else. I don’t trust Microsoft with my data.

This is not a knee-jerk reaction. I no longer think Microsoft is the “Evil Empire.” In fact, I think Microsoft is well on its way to becoming an open-source company. Also, while I don’t like how Microsoft is shoving Windows 10 down people’s throats, I actually like the latest version of the operating system.

What’s more, I expect Microsoft to do a better job with security than LinkedIn did. Well, who couldn’t do better than that four-year-long security breach foul-up?

That said, I don’t want Microsoft to have full access to my business networking data. Privacy may be an old-fashioned idea these days, but at least with LinkedIn, I was sharing my information with a company that only did social networking. Microsoft wants to be the be-all and end-all of technology.
I’m not cool with this, and I’m not the only one.

Many people in technology fields simply don’t trust Microsoft. That’s especially true of people in Linux and open source. AsChristine Hall of FOSSForce commented, “It’s touting an ‘Intelligent News Feed’ that will evidently be tailored to the user’s LinkedIn network, incorporating Cortana which will ‘know your entire professional network to connect dots on your behalf’ (how will that work for GNU/Linux users, I wonder).”

I know the answer to that one! It won’t.

What really bothers me the most, though, isn’t the lack of desktop Linux support. It’s the “know your entire professional network part.” I’d like to connect my own dots, thank you very much. Or, at least, use a system that’s dedicated to business networking rather than selling Microsoft services and products.

With a thousand-plus LinkedIn connections, I’m not eager to leave it — yet. But if LinkedIn becomes too enmeshed in Microsoft-specific services, I’ll start looking elsewhere. And I won’t be alone.

About this Discussion

10 Replies

HUBGFE Community

HUBGFE is an all purpose Canadian adult community offering advertisers, reviews, and lots of adult fun. The site includes Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing
Top Bottom