Made with Love

Man Ticketed for Dropping Money on the Ground

Pullmyfinger

Joined May 21, 2011
Messages 1,081
WTF is wrong with cops lately?.

https://fox8.com/2012/05/22/man-ticketed-for-dropping-money-on-the-ground/

CLEVELAND — A random act of kindness lands a man in trouble with police.
Last Monday, May 14th John Davis was exiting I-90 at the West 117th ramp when he saw a man in a wheelchair. The man was pale, thin and holding a sign that had a religious sentiment and also a request for help.

John thought to himself, “I think we’re all to help the less fortunate.”
The middle class family man from Elyria works hard for a living and enjoys giving back especially to people who are physically challenged.
“I have a brother that’s paralyzed,” said John, “My brother’s in that same situation and struggles.”

John reached into his wallet and grabbed a couple of bucks to give to the man. As he approached the light at the exit, he rolled the money up vertically and stretched his arm out of his window. He says, the man touched the cash and one of the dollars fell to the ground.

The man then bent over and picked it up.
Moments later as John travelled North on West 117th he says a Cleveland police officer pulled him over.
“He proceeds to tell me he’s pulling me over for littering,” said John.

John and his friends who witnessed the exchange were baffled.
The ticket cited Section No: 613.06 of Cleveland’s Municipal Codes, which is littering from a motor vehicle.
His offense was listed as, “Throw paper out window,” and in parenthesis, “money to panhandler.”
John said he was confused because money is paper but it’s not trash.

Cleveland police can’t comment on the ticket at this time but according to a spokesperson there is another code that may have been violated.
There is a code which states that it is illegal to panhandle or give money to panhandlers near a highway or street including a berm, shoulder, treelawn or sidewalk.
Section No: 471.06 states in part that “No person shall stand on a highway for the purpose of soliciting…contributions…”

It also reads that “No driver” is to “transfer currency….to any person standing on a street or highway.”
But John says that’s not what he was ticketed for. He was cited for littering from a motor vehicle, and the officer advised him to “take it up with the courts.”
John does plan to challenge the ticket in court, mainly because it carries a hefty fine. It could cost him $500 once you add the fine plus court costs.

John says he has always had a deep admiration for Cleveland police, and he isn’t trying to start trouble, but that’s a lot of money for helping out someone less fortunate.
“I don’t mean any disrespect toward the police department at all we need ‘em but I just wish I didn’t have to pay this ticket,” said John Davis.

The experience has left him disheartened, and has already destroyed his joy and willingness to give money to those in need.
“I’d like to do it again but I’m petrified I’m going to get a ticket.”

G

Guido

It looks like the cops are becoming petty in all of North America. It's disgusting that they would waste the time of a citizen for such a trumped up charge.

G

Guido

Prim0 said:
Try to remember that Police are people too. Some of them are assholes and some of them are heroes and most of them fall somewhere in between.

I agree we have good and bad in people everywhere but it does seem the Police are becoming an extension of tax collectors for the cities. Perhaps pulling him over with a warning would have been enough if it was a problem. You would think a person donating someone money would be the type of individual that would respect the authority of an Officer and not do it again with a simple warning.

tboy

Joined Jun 2, 2010
Messages 9,197
i have to agree with primo.....there is a reason it is illegal to panhandle on highways, it's fricken dangerous......same as if they saw someone giving a hitchhiker a ride on an onramp, I'd agree with that one too....

On the surface, sure, it seems rather mean spirited, hell the guy was giving money to someone who needed it, but he wasn't ticketed for giving the person money, but WHERE the transaction occured.

billybob

Joined Apr 27, 2012
Messages 19
i have to agree with primo.....there is a reason it is illegal to panhandle on highways, it's fricken dangerous......same as if they saw someone giving a hitchhiker a ride on an onramp, I'd agree with that one too....

On the surface, sure, it seems rather mean spirited, hell the guy was giving money to someone who needed it, but he wasn't ticketed for giving the person money, but WHERE the transaction occured.

Lame ass excues to take a mans doh.

Madman

Reviewer
Joined Aug 12, 2011
Messages 17,534
I was pulled over last night by an officer who believed I was using my cell phone texting because I kept looking down in my lap, which I was because I had seen a spider crawling down the gear column and I was looking for it to squash it. I didn't notice the cop looking at me while I was stopped at the light looking for the crawly little bastard. He gets in behind me and pulls me over on Bayview just before Eglinton.

It's quite the site and feeling being pulled over at night seeing the red and blue flashing lights behind you. The other motorists passing by, some with a scowl and gotcha look, some with a sympathetic look etc... anyways, officers comes to my window and asks for the normal paper work and asks me if I know why he pulled me over.

Madman-No officer I don't, I'm sorry.

Officer- driving and texting, I seen you looking down and (texting like a madman)<----enhanced for entertainment value

Madman -I'm sorry Officer but I do not have a cell phone in the car, I do however have my cell phone in my jacket in the trunk which I don't mind showing you if you will allow me to open my trunk. You are also welcomed to search the inside of my vehicle to see I do not have a cell phone in my car except for inside my trunk.

Officer-ok pop the trunk but stay in your vehicle unless I ask you to come out.

He walks over to the trunk, looks in and sees the jacket, closed my trunk and walks back to me.

Officer- so what were you doing looking down.

Madman- When I arrived at the light I noticed my car mat had shifted and I was worried it would interfere with me. Since I was safely stopped I took advantage of the red light to kick the mat back into place and when the light turned green I safely drove off and noticed you slip in behind me officer.

Officer- OK, sir here's your ID back- Have a good night and buy some new mats.

I drive off, pulled into the nearest plaza and went crazy trying to find the cell phone I threw under my seat when I was pulled over. My work phone was in the trunk of the car but my personal phone now was lost under my seat.:banghead: I had to see if I had received a response from a friend I had asked via text if she had a can of raid I could borrow to kill a frieken spider.

Top Bottom