Made with Love

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,246
Yesterday I was complaining about missing a great party in Toronto, and this led to conversation about how my bridge-fear is causing me issues in getting across the border. It's those Grand Island bridges, I could give myself a panic attack just thinking about driving over them.

It was suggested that perhaps hypnosis might be helpful, but I'm unsure. I tried it years ago to quit smoking, twice in fact, and well I have to have a cigarette now cause I'm thinking about those bridges.

Has anyone had success with hypnosis to treat phobias?

KJuT0.jpg

randygirl

Joined Jun 3, 2010
Messages 342
rustyblade said:
Hypnotherapists have found that all normal people are hypnotizable to a greater or lesser extent. Subjects with less than a 70 I.Q. generally can't be hypnotized.

Read on very interesting.

https://www.articlesbase.com/altern...s-the-simple-truth-about-hypnosis-519946.html

But no offense meant to SillyGirl by that statement, right? lol

SG, you should try CBT , or cognitive behavioral therapy (NOT cock and ball torture! <--Although that might be fun too!).

I suggest finding a cognitive behavioral therapist. They can help you get over your fear, and have pretty good success using their techniques.

CAMH can help you find a good one in your area!

CBT rules! lol

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,246
rustyblade said:
Hypnotherapists have found that all normal people are hypnotizable to a greater or lesser extent. Subjects with less than a 70 I.Q. generally can't be hypnotized.

Read on very interesting.

https://www.articlesbase.com/altern...s-the-simple-truth-about-hypnosis-519946.html

:lol:Thank you, it was very interesting.

and, um, c'mere....i have something for you... :slap:

:tongue:

randygirl said:
SG, you should try CBT , or cognitive behavioral therapy (NOT cock and ball torture! <--Although that might be fun too!).

LOLOL, that would be the perfect therapy right now. :)

jiiimmm

Joined Jun 2, 2010
Messages 40
hypnosis is a great way to relax, teaches you to go deep within yourself and clear your mind but as for changing behavior...sorry not in my opinion. I use the learned techniques to relax when stressed at work but it never worked to change bad habits.

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,246
jiiimmm said:
hypnosis is a great way to relax, teaches you to go deep within yourself and clear your mind but as for changing behavior...sorry not in my opinion. I use the learned techniques to relax when stressed at work but it never worked to change bad habits.

Well it obviously didn't help my smoking behavior, but I was thinking it might help me not panic on the bridge. I always focus really hard on controlling my breathing, but it would be helpful to be able to shut my mind off.

1fBUB.jpg

Joined May 4, 2010
Messages 191

Thats "Stains - the cupcake dog!"

Some people are susceptible and others are not.
If you ever have the chance go see a guy named "Tony Lee" He bills himself as a XXX rated hypnotist. He's hilarious.
I am not susceptible to Hypnosis and have an IQ of a little more then 70!
It didn't help with my smoking but I got a killer nap out of it.. I have a recording of the session and you can hear me snoring in the background!

jiiimmm

Joined Jun 2, 2010
Messages 40
Yeah, just like Greekster, when i control my breathing and deeply relax, i can fall asleep in seconds and have a killer nap. As long as your not driving you should be able to get over the 2 bridges if you go into a relaxed state. How do you manage over the French or Moon River bridges between Toronto and Sudbury? They're not quite as large but they are high.

K

KathrynBardot

Friend of Greekster said:
I hope you didn't have a "Ithyphallophobia"!
:lol:Could you imagine??

Quite the opposite, I'm pleased to say, hehe. My phobia was needles - I'm cured enough that blood draws aren't that big of an ordeal, but still phobic enough that I'll never be a hardcore drug user. :party:

SillyGirl

Joined Apr 7, 2017
Messages 7,246
jiiimmm said:
Yeah, just like Greekster, when i control my breathing and deeply relax, i can fall asleep in seconds and have a killer nap. As long as your not driving you should be able to get over the 2 bridges if you go into a relaxed state. How do you manage over the French or Moon River bridges between Toronto and Sudbury? They're not quite as large but they are high.

Riding over bridges isn't a problem, I just close my eyes. That's just not a good option while I'm driving.

I drive Boston-Rochester pretty regularly...out near Albany is the BigScaryBridge. You can go around it if you don't mind adding some time and traffic to the drive, but for years I made myself drive over it. A few years back I had actually gotten to the point where it didn't bother me too much.

Then I didn't do the drive for over a year, and the next time I did it was like I had never driven over it before. Then last year my life imploded, and I decided I was stressed out enough without dealing with the bridge, and the last few times I haven't even considered going over it. One time I almost missed the exit that avoids it, and just the thought was so scary I don't know that I'll ever drive over that bridge again.

Thank you for all the input and suggestions, and I'll let you know how it goes when I drive over Grand Island. Unless you've already seen it on CNN. :shock::shock:

Top Bottom