Made with Love
Sexy Friends Toronto
Playmates Toronto

Family of four found dead after home swallowed in landslide

  • Welcome to the new CAERF.
    New management and more commited than ever! Have a look at some of the new features HERE.
    If you experience any issue please let us know in the proper forum.

Lauren Summerhill

Well-known member
Joined May 6, 2010
Messages 130
Family of four found dead after home swallowed in landslide

thestar.com/news/canada/article/807613--family-of-four-found-dead-after-home-swallowed-in-landslide

The landslide hit Monday night at about 9 p.m. According to neighbours, the Prefontaine family was watching TV, probably the Montreal Canadiens’ playoff game—in their basement.

The house was taken wholly by the slide, which created a huge scar in the landscape about 450 metres long 15 metres deep.
 

big.guy_13

Well-known member
Joined Feb 13, 2010
Messages 98
With all due respect, I do believe this is probably not in the right section.

BUT, it truly is a tragedy.
 

Lauren Summerhill

Well-known member
Joined May 6, 2010
Messages 130
big.guy_13 said:
With all due respect, I do believe this is probably not in the right section.

BUT, it truly is a tragedy.


It is a tragedy, but I have a dark sense of humour. I was suggesting God was a Leaf's fan :razz:
 

Raiden

Reviewer
Joined Nov 6, 2009
Messages 6,565
What a shame, poor people probably didn't even see it coming. Which thinking about it was probably a good thing.
 

Looney

Well-known member
Joined Feb 13, 2010
Messages 91
Lauren Summerhill said:
It is a tragedy, but I have a dark sense of humour. I was suggesting God was a Leaf's fan :razz:

Why would you suggest that?
 

ChrisD

Senior Member
Joined Mar 10, 2010
Messages 344
Lauren Summerhill said:
It is a tragedy, but I have a dark sense of humour. I was suggesting God was a Leaf's fan :razz:

Dead people shouldn't be made fun of, no matter what the reason is. It's a shame how some people can make humor about very sad stories.
 

Doggie

Senior Member
Joined Mar 10, 2010
Messages 553
Lauren Summerhill said:
It is a tragedy, but I have a dark sense of humour. I was suggesting God was a Leaf's fan :razz:

Very disrespectful comment IMO
 

Jawbone

Well-known member
Joined Jan 26, 2010
Messages 951
People handle tragedy in different ways. Some of us become really sad, some get angry and some make light of it. I don't think there is a right or wrong in it, it's just the way humans look at situations from different colour glasses.

I can't believe it, Lauren I am in a strange way defending you, who would have ever thunk it? Having said that, you probably will be upsetting quite a few people by making light of a terrible situation that has happened. If you would like to borrow my zippy lock, I have an extra one which I would be more than happy to lend you. I find them very helpful myself. This is the longest I have lasted on any board with the help of my zippy lock.
 

Albino

Well-known member
Joined Feb 1, 2010
Messages 466
I for one do not find it very funny Lauren. Tragedies like these put sports and other pass times into perspective. My sympathies go out to any remaining loved ones of the family.
 

Schmuck

Well-known member
Joined Feb 25, 2010
Messages 98
Jawbone said:
People handle tragedy in different ways. Some of us become really sad, some get angry and some make light of it. I don't think there is a right or wrong in it, it's just the way humans look at situations from different colour glasses.



Think that is the case with Lauren, she is too intelligent to insult the dead. As she said it's her sense of humor, some are just different than others.
 

Lauren Summerhill

Well-known member
Joined May 6, 2010
Messages 130
I didn't find the literal death funny, I found the vague link to hockey funny.

Frankly I'm not going to cry over every news story I read, the news papers are full of human misery page to page. What good does it do to pretend you give a damn but be fascinated enough to sit down and read tragedy after tragedy like some kind of necrophiliac? CNN is death porn whenever something horrible happens, playing tragic story in 5 min repeat reels describing every disgusting detail they can, dissecting it in every possible way, draining each and every single moment of user interest they can out of it, not in the name of news but in the name of ratings.

So it's not like people don't have morbid fascination - which I don't have. I can't stand the people who slow down on the highway to rubber neck when they see a horrible accident - but I'm not going to roll down my window and yell at them. I think it's atrocious the way gawkers form a circle around an accident with an ambulance on scene just to watch what's happening (a deep betrayal to the privacy of emergency crew workers and the people they're helping). There's nothing more private then tragedy - and yet here we are, airing the news internationally just so people can stop and go "oooo...". No use in arguing whose a worse person: the ones who sit watching the news all day, feeding off tragedy as entertainment, or someone like me who can smirk at a detail they see buried within a story. :p

People die every day. There are worse stories then that in the paper - like a kid shooting up his school. In this case it was a freak chance of nature that couldn't be prevented or foreseen - not the cruel act of human action, they weren't murdered. If I'm going to cry it'll be for the innocent blood split in war, or the genocides still raging in Africa, or the Pope not realizing that the greatest threat to marriage isn't Gay men, but ridiculous divorce laws that are unfair to husbands looking for a new beginning or better life.

So yes, some people are more sensitive than I and will see nothing remotely amusing. But I'm not apologizing for a twisted sense of humor regarding a news item. Just like how some people don't find Stewy (Family Guy), a murderous sociopath infant trying to off his mother amusing, and yet I do. I also find slasher flicks and exorcism movies screamingly funny while other people are nearly clinging to their seats with fear.

I agree that some can argue it's tasteless humour, I consider it dark humour. Call me a Death To Smoochy fan. To each their own.
 

jumpingjackflash

Reviewer
Joined Jan 7, 2010
Messages 2,941
Lauren Summerhill said:
I didn't find the literal death funny, I found the vague link to hockey funny.

Frankly I'm not going to cry over every news story I read, the news papers are full of human misery page to page. What good does it do to pretend you give a damn but be fascinated enough to sit down and read tragedy after tragedy like some kind of necrophiliac? CNN is death porn whenever something horrible happens, playing tragic story in 5 min repeat reels describing every disgusting detail they can, dissecting it in every possible way, draining each and every single moment of user interest they can out of it, not in the name of news but in the name of ratings.

So it's not like people don't have morbid fascination - which I don't have. I can't stand the people who slow down on the highway to rubber neck when they see a horrible accident - but I'm not going to roll down my window and yell at them. I think it's atrocious the way gawkers form a circle around an accident with an ambulance on scene just to watch what's happening (a deep betrayal to the privacy of emergency crew workers and the people they're helping). There's nothing more private then tragedy - and yet here we are, airing the news internationally just so people can stop and go "oooo...". No use in arguing whose a worse person: the ones who sit watching the news all day, feeding off tragedy as entertainment, or someone like me who can smirk at a detail they see buried within a story. :p

People die every day. There are worse stories then that in the paper - like a kid shooting up his school. In this case it was a freak chance of nature that couldn't be prevented or foreseen - not the cruel act of human action, they weren't murdered. If I'm going to cry it'll be for the innocent blood split in war, or the genocides still raging in Africa, or the Pope not realizing that the greatest threat to marriage isn't Gay men, but ridiculous divorce laws that are unfair to husbands looking for a new beginning or better life.

So yes, some people are more sensitive than I and will see nothing remotely amusing. But I'm not apologizing for a twisted sense of humor regarding a news item. Just like how some people don't find Stewy (Family Guy), a murderous sociopath infant trying to off his mother amusing, and yet I do. I also find slasher flicks and exorcism movies screamingly funny while other people are nearly clinging to their seats with fear.

I agree that some can argue it's tasteless humour, I consider it dark humour. Call me a Death To Smoochy fan. To each their own.

Very good points Lauren, and I am a Family Guy fan too. In my younger days I use to OD on Married With Childern. I catch myself at times with my hands down my pants just like Al Bundy.
 

Lauren Summerhill

Well-known member
Joined May 6, 2010
Messages 130
Repoman said:
Very good points Lauren, and I am a Family Guy fan too. In my younger days I use to OD on Married With Childern. I catch myself at times with my hands down my pants just like Al Bundy.

Favourite Married With Children episode of all time:

Kelly has to pass an exam, so Bud works hard tutor her. However, she's so dumb, that for every new thing she learns she forgets something else. When she learns to do math, she forgets how to tie her shoes. Bud explains, it's like filling a full cup. When you add more water, some spills over the edges.

I always joke that I have limited RAM.

Another great moment: "Peg concentrate. Do you know what I can do with 10 thousand dollars?" says Al. "Take 10 thousand trips to the nuddie bar?" replies his wife. "No Peg, just one really great one!" he answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDVs7rYXKzE
 
H

HOF

Guest
Lauren Summerhill said:
I didn't find the literal death funny, I found the vague link to hockey funny.

Frankly I'm not going to cry over every news story I read, the news papers are full of human misery page to page. What good does it do to pretend you give a damn but be fascinated enough to sit down and read tragedy after tragedy like some kind of necrophiliac? CNN is death porn whenever something horrible happens, playing tragic story in 5 min repeat reels describing every disgusting detail they can, dissecting it in every possible way, draining each and every single moment of user interest they can out of it, not in the name of news but in the name of ratings.

So it's not like people don't have morbid fascination - which I don't have. I can't stand the people who slow down on the highway to rubber neck when they see a horrible accident - but I'm not going to roll down my window and yell at them. I think it's atrocious the way gawkers form a circle around an accident with an ambulance on scene just to watch what's happening (a deep betrayal to the privacy of emergency crew workers and the people they're helping). There's nothing more private then tragedy - and yet here we are, airing the news internationally just so people can stop and go "oooo...". No use in arguing whose a worse person: the ones who sit watching the news all day, feeding off tragedy as entertainment, or someone like me who can smirk at a detail they see buried within a story. :p

People die every day. There are worse stories then that in the paper - like a kid shooting up his school. In this case it was a freak chance of nature that couldn't be prevented or foreseen - not the cruel act of human action, they weren't murdered. If I'm going to cry it'll be for the innocent blood split in war, or the genocides still raging in Africa, or the Pope not realizing that the greatest threat to marriage isn't Gay men, but ridiculous divorce laws that are unfair to husbands looking for a new beginning or better life.

So yes, some people are more sensitive than I and will see nothing remotely amusing. But I'm not apologizing for a twisted sense of humor regarding a news item. Just like how some people don't find Stewy (Family Guy), a murderous sociopath infant trying to off his mother amusing, and yet I do. I also find slasher flicks and exorcism movies screamingly funny while other people are nearly clinging to their seats with fear.

I agree that some can argue it's tasteless humour, I consider it dark humour. Call me a Death To Smoochy fan. To each their own.



Lauren dark humour is one thing, but making humour out of a tragic accident isn't. I've added a thread about the loss of man's best friend that you replied to, and I would think that when your pet passes, you wouldn't want any dark humour remarks made.

A very dear friend of mine lost her 3 year old niece this past Wednesday, the funeral was Friday, and Saturday would have been her 4th birthday. She had a cancerous brain tumor.

In a few of your threads, I was abrupt and inappropriate and I apologize for that publicly. My points are we all say or do things that are inappropriate at times. Your comment here, is yours, but it's not very humane.
 
Top Bottom