Made with Love

Do you lend money to friends?

Oliver stone

Joined Feb 13, 2010
Messages 55
A friend of mine wants to borrow money again. I lend him $2000.00 last year and it took him 9 months to pay me after he said he would in 2 months. Now he wants another $1500, don't want to lose him as a friend but don't want to give it to him. Have lost one other friend because of similar situation.

What would you do.

Knight Rider

Joined Nov 14, 2009
Messages 1,471
That's a difficult situation to be in. After what happened previously with him not living up to the agreement, I would say no, but the decision is yours to make. IMHO mixing friendships and money is never a good idea. Too many things can go wrong.

Oliver stone

Joined Feb 13, 2010
Messages 55
lagavulin said:
I would either give him the money and forget about it; or not give him a dime.
Lending = never

That was my thought the first time but if I give it to him again it could become a routine thing for him and don't want that to happen

Knight Rider said:
IMHO mixing friendships and money is never a good idea. Too many things can go wrong.

I know will sleep over it, thanks

randygirl said:
What lagavulin said:

If you can't afford to just give it to him and never see it again, then don't. Then, it's a bonus if he pays you back.

No lending!

Its more of the principal matter RG, thanks for your input.

RAWD

Joined Mar 11, 2010
Messages 2,166
1. When it comes to friends, never loan more money than you can afford to lose.

2. If that "friend" comes back for more without repaying previous loans, they ain't no friend (and you're just a bank).

B

Beenthere123

lagavulin said:
I would either give him the money and forget about it

Good reply I have done it before and if it comes back its just extra gravy.
RAWD said:
1. When it comes to friends, never loan more money than you can afford to lose.

Another smart guy

2. If that "friend" comes back for more without repaying previous loans, they ain't no friend (and you're just a bank).

Shit where did you all come from, great reply.

H

HOF

rileyroyal said:
There is no such thing as lending between friends and family, you have to consider it a gift, at this point now being in sex work, they can call up agencies and massage parlours for work or go to a money mart or some other pay day loan place.

The OP never said anything about sex work or hobbying. You should have stopped at gift.

The Options Menu

Joined Apr 20, 2010
Messages 154
Knight Rider said:
That's a difficult situation to be in. After what happened previously with him not living up to the agreement, I would say no, but the decision is yours to make. IMHO mixing friendships and money is never a good idea. Too many things can go wrong.

That and jobs. It's one thing to lend a friend $50 on a Friday night, or to have a friend hook you up (or the reverse) with a job where you're not in immediate contact. Large sums of money or working / hiring a friend to work in close contact with you are sure ways to tart up the friendship. Add sleeping with their family members or their medium to long term exes and you pretty much have all of the bases covered. And wives and current girlfriends...

edit: As was said, if it's between family or friends you better view it as a gift or not give it at all.

a 1 player

Joined Jun 6, 2010
Messages 4,904
I agree with what most others have said, do not give money you cannot afford to lose. In my opinion, lending money is one of the quickest ways to lose a friendship, especially if you have had problems collecting in the past.

Top Bottom