Made with Love

Cannabis is now legal in Canada!

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,322
Supporters said it would create value for the local economy and government, with detractors claiming it would increase violent crime and raise health costs. Who was right?

Back on January 1, when it became legal to sell recreational marijuana, it was estimated that, across the state, pot shop owners made more than $1 million in that one single historic day of business. The Law allows for residents, over the age of 21, to purchase up to an ounce of marijuana at a single purchase if for recreational purposes, with non-residents able to purchase up to a quarter ounce.

Now, official figures released by the Department of Revenue (i) show that, in the first 3 months, sales of recreational marijuana alone have in fact raised in excess of $7.3 million in taxes. When income from medicinal sales tax and licences is included that figure rises further to $12.6 million. The fact is that in the new legalized recreational business in both January and February, more than $14 million was sold each month.

March exceeded this by claiming almost $19 million in sales, and the trend is continuing to rise. From those sales figures, there has been a corresponding rise in sales taxes; January generated $1.4 million , February brought in $1.43 million and the most recent figures for March showed it to be $1.898 million. This destroys the initial argument by opponents who claimed that there would be an initial boost from ‘new toy’ syndrome but that interest would soon plummet.

In addition, many said there would be an increase in violent crime in the state as a result of ‘trafficking’ and associated crimes. This has been far from reality – overall crime has actually fallen slightly in Denver (ii). One huge benefit from this new industry has been a creation of jobs, from budtenders, growers, salespeople and even more journalists writing about the changes (iii).

This all adds welcome revenue to the state’s coffers.
New projections indicate that legal cannabis sales in the United States will be as much as $2.57 billion this year, when taking in figures from across split the 21 states that allow the sale of marijuana in some form. That’s a huge increase from $1.53 billion one year ago. With figures this high we could deduce that the marijuana industry as a whole could potentially become a powerful political lobby in its own right.

A far greater amount of medical marijuana is sold, (this has been legal in Colorado since 2000) with the comparative sales for March being $35 million. But, as the tax imposed on recreational weed is far greater, it could probably soon overtake medical marijuana in total tax dollars. In total, Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper projected in February that total Colorado marijuana sales could approach $1 billion in the next fiscal year. It is estimated that $600 million of that figure will come from just recreational sales.

This means that the state will to collect at least $134 million in taxes and fees.
Already, plans have been passed to make good use of some of this extra income: lawmakers have just approved a plan to spend this new tax windfall from marijuana, mostly on child drug use prevention and outreach. The $33 million plan includes money for more school nurses and public education on using marijuana responsibly.

Will these sales slow down? It is unlikely. Other states will hopefully see this as a positive move and see that the popular misconceptions have been well and truly turned over.

REFERENCES/SOURCES:

(i)
(ii)
(iii) 13 Spliffy Jobs In The Marijuana Industry : The Protojournalist : NPR

U

User-E

You can't OD on pot.

Here's An Updated Tally Of All The People Who Have Ever Died From A Marijuana Overdose

panda.gif

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/03/marijuana-overdose_n_4538580.html

I love posting that gif. :biggrin2:

Lobby

Joined Aug 4, 2012
Messages 348
Free pot for a year: Website wants to give one Canadian medical marijuana

An online medical marijuana group has launched a contest to give one Canadian free medical pot for a year.
Lift, a website that lists information about producers in Canada, how to find doctors and sells accessories, said the Get Happy Canada contest is the first of its kind in the country.
Liftmj.com won't just give away pot, though.

The winner would need to obtain a prescription from a doctor and order it from a licensed producer. Then, Lift will cover the cost of the marijuana up to one gram a day for 365 days.

Organizers said the contest was launched in part because not all patients can afford medical marijuana, but also because many who suffer from medical conditions "are not aware of the benefits of medical marijuana or how to access Health Canada's new medical marijuana program."

The contest is open to all adults in Canada, excluding Quebec and those who already have a prescription. The contest ends July 18.

https://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/...-wants-to-give-one-canadian-medical-marijuana

jack bauer

Reviewer
Joined Aug 13, 2012
Messages 321
Probably diminishing returns as more places legalize it (ie. no one's going to travel to Colorado to get pot if they can legally get it at home).
I didn't think I'd ever say it, but I'm liking Justin Trudeau more and more every day..
(now, if he just comes to his senses on C36, I'll become a card-carrying Liberal!)

Top Bottom