Made with Love
Emma Alexandra Page
Playmates Toronto

Canadian Soccer League Controversial Rule - Score more than 5 goals and you lose

• Welcome to the new CAERF.
    New management and more commited than ever! Have a look at some of the new features HERE.
    If you experience any issue please let us know in the proper forum.

Canadian Soccer League Controversial Rule - Score more than 5 goals and you lose

• This rule is detrimental to all teams because it hinders them from performing their best.

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • This rule is necessary, as blowouts are bad for team morale and self-esteem and should be prevented.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Knight Rider

Joined Nov 14, 2009
Messages 1,471
This is ridiculous. For one, it is dishonest to penalize a team because its members trained harder and performed much better than the other one. Also, such a rule discourages a team from giving their best performance, which should be what sports is about. Our society seems intent on cuddling our kids and shielding them from losing in sports/failing in school and its sad. Failure is a very important part of life and learning how to deal with it in a positive way is critical for success in adulthood.

Bruce Cappon refers to the organized sport his son plays as "farceball."

His 17-year-old son Kevin has been playing recreational house soccer in the Gloucester Dragons league for five years. Last year the league results weren’t 100% accurate, Bruce said, because a win was never written-up as more than a five-point differential, no matter what the score.

"We had a mercy rule, they’d stop counting," Kevin said. "But what they’re doing this year is ridiculous."

What they’re doing is taking the mercy-scoring up a notch. Any team that wins by more than a five-point differential, loses.

According to Kevin, he found this out during a game last week.

"I was out on the field and had just scored the last allowable goal," Kevin said. "The ref told me not to score any more or we’d lose and when the ref tells you something, you go with it."

He said, after the caution, he and his teammates kicked the ball around for 20 minutes, being careful not to score and not to let the opposing team get it.

smylee52

Joined Nov 16, 2009
Messages 558
Truly ridiculous . The best team loses , You usually run into these situations because the adults have failed to level out the talent pool on each team or match a team to the correct tier. Instead of league supervisors dealing with some immature coaches they bastardize the game and penalize everybody .

If they want to minimize humiliation I would suggest that the first team to be 5 goals ahead wins .

Howiediddot

Joined Mar 23, 2010
Messages 64
Failure is a very important part of life and learning how to deal with it in a positive way is critical for success in adulthood.

Yes but who gets the blame?, the parents that want to protect their children by being over protective?.

Rock

Joined Jan 31, 2010
Messages 115
Bunch of wackos running that league, how are kids going to learn to succeed if they don't fail first. Sometimes I wonder why the space cadets that run the leagues don't think before making such a dumm ass rule.

clintE

Joined Dec 27, 2009
Messages 575
Rock said:
Bunch of wackos running that league, how are kids going to learn to succeed if they don't fail first. Sometimes I wonder why the space cadets that run the leagues don't think before making such a dumm ass rule.

They said “We didn’t just pull this out of thin air, there is a modified precedent for this,” Cale said, adding many ringette organizations will dock a team points if they score excessively.

Melike_pussy

Reviewer
Joined May 10, 2010
Messages 575
smylee52 said:
If they want to minimize humiliation I would suggest that the first team to be 5 goals ahead wins .

Game would be over in 10 minutes. I coach my 12 year old's hockey team, some teams have highly skilled players while others don't. I teach them to play to win but also teach them not to kick an old dog when he is down. Many times the kids themselves slow down not to embarass the opposing team. Its very hard to come up with a simple solution.

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,337
clintE said:
They said “We didn’t just pull this out of thin air, there is a modified precedent for this,” Cale said, adding many ringette organizations will dock a team points if they score excessively.

Ringette pretty much says it all doesn't it.

Auggie

Joined May 24, 2010
Messages 2,207
If you tell the kids to ease up and not try as hard, that's sending a message that the other team needs to be babied and protected. That's even more humiliating to the other team, I believe.

Melike_pussy

Reviewer
Joined May 10, 2010
Messages 575
Auggie said:
If you tell the kids to ease up and not try as hard, that's sending a message that the other team needs to be babied and protected. That's even more humiliating to the other team, I believe.

Good point but not if its done in a discerningly manner. It does not mean the other team needs to be babied and protected, its called courtecy.

Top Bottom