Made with Love
Joined Sep 10, 2015
Messages 1,478
Anyone ever been to Bhutan? I was thinking of taking a trip there next year.

I imagine being surrounded by beautiful Bhutanese women.

But, I heard you have to pay huge fees just to enter the country and stay there.

B

Boing

But, I heard you have to pay huge fees just to enter the country and stay there.

After doing some research, it sounds to me like it costs tourists ~$250/day just to be in the country, which seems kinda ridiculous. I've been to 52 other countries and have never heard anything like this before! Can anyone confirm this??

A: You need a visa
B: you can only get a visa of you book a tour
C: tour prices are determined by the govt. at $250/day/person (during peak season)
To further confuse the matter, these fixed priced tours include food and lodging, so if that's indeed the case, why are there hotels even listed with prices for the country? If I HAVE to pay $250/day just to visit the country, why the heck would I pay for a hotel on top of that when lodging is already included?!?! This just makes no sense to me.
From the countries tourism website ()

Visa Requirements:
Other than Indian, Bangladeshis and Maldivian nationals, all visitors to Bhutan require a visa; all visas are issued from Thimphu; visas are only issued to booked with a local licensed tour operator, directly or through a foreign travel agent.

The minimum tariff for tourist visiting in a group of 3 persons or more are as follows:
High Season Tariff – USD$ 250 per person per night for the months of March, April, May, September, October, and November.
The minimum price includes:

All internal taxes and charges (including the royalty)
Accommodation
All Meals
All travel with a licensed Bhutanese Tour Guide
All Internal Transport
Camping Equipment and Haulage for Trekking Tours

McGuinty

Joined Aug 23, 2010
Messages 2,033
After doing some research, it sounds to me like it costs tourists ~$250/day just to be in the country, which seems kinda ridiculous. I've been to 52 other countries and have never heard anything like this before! Can anyone confirm this??

A: You need a visa
B: you can only get a visa of you book a tour
C: tour prices are determined by the govt. at $250/day/person (during peak season)
To further confuse the matter, these fixed priced tours include food and lodging, so if that's indeed the case, why are there hotels even listed with prices for the country? If I HAVE to pay $250/day just to visit the country, why the heck would I pay for a hotel on top of that when lodging is already included?!?! This just makes no sense to me.
From the countries tourism website ()

Visa Requirements:
Other than Indian, Bangladeshis and Maldivian nationals, all visitors to Bhutan require a visa; all visas are issued from Thimphu; visas are only issued to booked with a local licensed tour operator, directly or through a foreign travel agent.

The minimum tariff for tourist visiting in a group of 3 persons or more are as follows:
High Season Tariff – USD$ 250 per person per night for the months of March, April, May, September, October, and November.
The minimum price includes:

All internal taxes and charges (including the royalty)
Accommodation
All Meals
All travel with a licensed Bhutanese Tour Guide
All Internal Transport
Camping Equipment and Haulage for Trekking Tours

Well I learned something new again today.

Top Bottom