Art Mann

Angelina Jolie had double mastectomy
to reduce risk of breast cancer

Health campaigners praise actor's decision to go public with news
to encourage other women to check for defective gene BRCA1

[SUB]Haroon Siddique, Jonathan Haynes and agencies
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 14 May 2013 11.15 BST
[/SUB]

Angelina Jolie has revealed she has had a preventive double mastectomy to reduce her risk of developing breast cancer.

Health campaigners praised her decision to go public with the news, which she said was prompted by a desire to encourage other women to get gene-tested and to raise awareness of the options available to those at risk.

The actor has a defective gene, BRCA1, which doctors told her had increased her risk of developing breast cancer to 87%, and her risk of ovarian cancer, the disease that killed her mother at the age of 56, to 50%,she wrote in the New York Times.

The surgery, which began in February, has reduced Jolie's risk of breast cancer to under 5%, she said. "I can tell my children that they don't need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer," she wrote.

"It is reassuring that they see nothing that makes them uncomfortable. They can see my small scars and that's it. Everything else is just Mommy, the same as she always was. And they know that I love them and will do anything to be with them as long as I can. On a personal note, I do not feel any less of a woman. I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity."

The 37-year-old, who has six children – three by Brad Pitt, who was by her side for "every minute of the surgeries", and three adopted – finished three months of medical procedures on 27 April. She said she first had "nipple delay" to maximise the chances of saving her nipples, before breast tissue removal and, nine weeks later, reconstruction.

Jolie wrote: "I choose not to keep my story private because there are many women who do not know that they might be living under the shadow of cancer."

FULL STORY HERE

Cardinal Fang

Reviewer
Joined May 9, 2012
Messages 5,717
I'd like to think I could do the same thing but in all honesty I don't think I could until I was backed in a corner and even then I would have my doubts. For a women whose identity is so intrenched with her beauty it is a courageous decision and speaks volumes of how she views herself. One that really lets me and others know that true beauty is not what we necessarily see on the outside.

A

Art Mann

It's also a very important position statement about health. Celebrities have tremendous influence over ordinary people.

Angelina Jolie is creating awareness of the medical condition, and showing leadership by being proactive ... and it couldn't have been an easy decision.

No doubt she will get implants to restore her "normal" look, and that's cool. In fact that's the best reason for implants, unlike the phonies that get criticized in the photo threads.

Madman

Reviewer
Joined Aug 12, 2011
Messages 17,534
Imagine the emotional turmoil she has gone through to reach this conclusion.

Now we see what Brad Pitt is made of and how he accepts this over the next few years.

Maurice Boscorelli

Joined May 30, 2010
Messages 19,322
Imagine the emotional turmoil she has gone through to reach this conclusion.

Now we see what Brad Pitt is made of and how he accepts this over the next few years.

Yeah we joke around in here but this really puts life into perspective doesn't it.

Much respect to her for having the courage to come forward with this let's hope that she lives a long and happy life with her husband and kids.

-b

BANNED
Joined Aug 27, 2011
Messages 8,826
Jolie has always been a women I look at and think she has grown so much
into an individual to look up too.....
From her Aide Work with the UN to this.....She could have kept it
quiet but she did not......It is took so much courage to come to that
decision........And to have another cause for her to be involved with

Good for her....:clapping2::heart:

Ridgeman08

Reviewer
Joined Feb 19, 2012
Messages 181
Or maybe she's a master at marketing! Hmmmmmm

Another plausible explanation is:

She's nearing 40 yrs old. As is often the case with women, she's discovering that she is not as nubile and perky as she once was... She's feeling self concious about this, and decides to "lift them up" so to speak. However, she knows many in Hollywood suffer some back lash and criticism, when they get some "work" done and she doesn't want to deal with this, so, she comes up with this brilliant cover story that everyone will buy AND give her a sympathy vote at the same time...

:blush2:

Just sayin...

(Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just offering another possible explanation... or maybe I'm just real cycnical when it comes to celebrities! LoL)

-b

BANNED
Joined Aug 27, 2011
Messages 8,826
Or maybe she's a master at marketing! Hmmmmmm

Another plausible explanation is:

She's nearing 40 yrs old. As is often the case with women, she's discovering that she is not as nubile and perky as she once was... She's feeling self concious about this, and decides to "lift them up" so to speak. However, she knows many in Hollywood suffer some back lash and criticism, when they get some "work" done and she doesn't want to deal with this, so, she comes up with this brilliant cover story that everyone will buy AND give her a sympathy vote at the same time...

:blush2:

Just sayin...

(Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just offering another explanation...)

I think you do not know what happens when you have both breast remove....
For her to do that for new breast....They cut the breast right off.....

this is reshaping them

mastectomy.jpg

6.+3+weeks+po+cropped.jpg
Breast fully removed..

Can't seeing her do all that

Some use tattoos to cover scars....

She would have say.....she would not have cared if she had her
breast done....Come on.....

Ridgeman08

Reviewer
Joined Feb 19, 2012
Messages 181
I think you do not know what happens when you have both breast remove....
For her to do that for new breast....They cut the breast right off..... this is reshaping them

Breast fully removed..

Can't seeing her do all that

Some use tattoos to cover scars....

She would have say.....she would not have cared if she had her
breast done....Come on.....

Did you ever read the articles?

In double mastectomies, surgeons typically remove as much breast tissue as possible. In Jolie's case, because she was having a reconstruction done shortly afterward, the doctors preserved the skin covering her breasts, inserting "fillers" where the breast tissue would have been, to keep the skin elastic. According to Jolie, she had implants put in nine weeks later.

It specifically said they preserved all the outer layer of skin, and replaced the flesh with fillers until such time as she rec'd her implants.

Come on indeed. :SayWhat?:

Ms.FemmeFatale

Joined Jul 3, 2011
Messages 665
Here is my issue with this. This is not suited for most mainstream women.

For us, OHIP will not cover this as a preventative measure. Nor will they cover the breast implants after. What she had done is 10 of thousands of dollars. Which is great for her that she is able to do this, but it is not realistic for most mainstream women and that is sad.

I hope this gives the message to those involved with the health care system to make some changes in this regard.

Just to point out, Sharon Osbourne has also undergone a similar procedure for similar reasons.

You are watching "The Talk" right now. I know it! LOL

-b

BANNED
Joined Aug 27, 2011
Messages 8,826
Did you ever read the articles?

It specifically said they preserved all the outer layer of skin, and replaced the flesh with fillers until such time as she rec'd her implants.

Come on indeed. :SayWhat?:

I have read ...

That so they can stretch the skin to form the breast......she
can slowly replace it to the size she had....You can't just
do it in one step .....skin enlarges then remove and replace to her size

Did you read what I posted on how it done....Kind of a lot of
cut parts out for a breast lift won't you say.....

Removal of the Breast both sides and the Lymph nodes on both breast....

Ridgeman08

Reviewer
Joined Feb 19, 2012
Messages 181
I have read ...

Nice back peddle. :NoNoNo:

Anyway, my point is, (much as Ms Fatale pointed out), this is not something most women have the option of doing.

As far as I'm concerned, she is just another Hollywood type that got her boobs done.

She is just spinning it in a more positive "less vain" way which may or may not have a medically believable motivation factor.

About this Discussion

33 Replies
5K Views

HUBGFE Community

HUBGFE is an all purpose Canadian adult community offering advertisers, reviews, and lots of adult fun. The site includes Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing
Top Bottom